Youth football: Wilton fourth, sixth grade teams advance to title games

Wilton Youth football teams had the following results in Fairfield County Football League action from Nov. 11-12:

Fourth grade

Wilton Blue 13, New Canaan Black 0

With an impressive regular-season record of 7-1 and a dominant quarterfinal victory over Darien, the Wilton Blue fourth grade football team headed into the semifinals with a lot of momentum. Their semifinal opponent was its key rival, New Canaan Black, which had eliminated the Warriors in last season’s final and given them their only loss this season.

But this time it was Wilton’s day as it exacted revenge in an impressive 13-0 victory.

Wilton’s defense showed up well-prepared and especially fired-up, limiting New Canaan Black to very little yardage in the first quarter, led by the Warriors’ stout linebacking corps of Jake Padilla, Craig O’Neill, Charlie Calabrese, Charlie Roy and Blake Ongley.

Wilton’s offense then started to get going late in the first quarter, orchestrated by Calabrese at the helm and thanks to some solid blocking upfront spearheaded by Max Totten, Quint Furman, Theo Satrazemis, Hunter Lishnoff, Cayden Stevens, Charlie Roy, Trevien Goldman and Evan Christianson. Then, at the start of the second quarter, Kieran Wiseman exploded for a 30-yard run to put Wilton up 6-0.

The rest of the second quarter was a back-and-forth affair, with both defenses clamping down. Wilton didn’t allow much, led up front by Marco Chilla, Wiseman, Jack McMenamy and Grant Santosky among others. And Wilton’s speedy secondary of Emma VanHeyst, Will Byrnes, Mason Behar, Erik Kieran, Ellie Smith and Mikey Butler made sure that Wilton avoided the big play, including any completed passes.

The third quarter proved to be a continuation of the defensive battle with several highlight tackles by O’Neill and Padilla.

Wilton’s offense started to gain momentum in the fourth quarter with some pivotal first-down runs by Calabrese. Then Wiseman scampered in from the four-yard line with five minutes remaining for his second TD of the day. Calabrese brought in the conversion on a keeper to make the score 13-0.

Wilton would squelch any further progress by New Canaan and Patch Angerame led Wilton in its victory formation.

Wilton now heads into the FCFL fourth grade championship game against New Canaan Red, on Sunday morning at 10:30 at Darien High School.

Wilton 19, Darien 0

The fourth grade Wilton football team had opened the playoffs on Nov. 5 with a shutout win over Darien.

Darien began on offense but a strong Wilton defense pulled off an impressive three consecutive sacks by Charlie Calabrese, Keiran Wiseman and Craig O’Neill. With their first offensive opportunity, Charlie Calabrese handed off the ball to Kieran Wiseman, who ran it 30 yards to score the Warriors’ first touchdown. A QB sneak made possible by great blocking from the offensive line of Quint Furman, Hunter Lishnoff, Evan Christiansen, Josh Meltzer and Max Totten gave the Warriors an additional two points. Solid defensive play by Emma Van Heyst, Will Byrnes, Charlie Roy, Jake Padilla and Marco Chila stalled any attempts by the Blue Wave and the first quarter ended at 8-0.

The second quarter began with several big yardage gains by Craig O’Neill, allowing for a second touchdown run in by Calabrese, bringing the score to 14-0. Effective blocking by Theo Satrazemis, Jack McMenamey and Grant Santosky allowed Jake Padilla a first down and ultimately a third touchdown on a pass play from Calabrese to O’Neill, who ran it in for a 19-0 halftime lead.

The third quarter saw more strong defensive play by Jack Bernard, Mason Behar, Michael Butler and Erik Kiernan. A fumble by the Blue Wave was recovered by Evan Christiansen and Wilton was again on the offensive. Ellie Smith and Trevian Goldman had successful catches to continue the Warriors’ offensive assault and finish the third quarter.

The fourth quarter was largely uneventful aside from a fantastic tackle by Marco Chila. Patch Angrome came in for the victory formation and took successive knees to close out the Warriors first playoff win.

Sixth grade

Wilton Blue 14, Westport North 13 (OT)

The Wilton Blue sixth grade football team played at Westport last Saturday in the FCFl semifinals, looking to avenge a 14-12 loss to Westport North late in the season.

In a marathon that took two overtimes to finish, the Warriors emerged with their second playoff overtime win in a row, 14-13, and a trip to the FCFL championships game. They play New Canaan Black on Saturday (2:30) at Darien High School.

Wilton drove 40 yards in the first possession and was led by QB Luke DiRocco. The offensive line of Dylan Long, Eli Meltzer, George Papakosmas and Lorenzo Caratozzolo led the dominant push forward. Westport got the ball back and got a first down, but were held and forced to punt.

Wilton had a 15-play drive, but four penalties for 35 yards proved too much.

On Westport’s second play, the Wreckers broke a 77-yard pass for a TD. Colin Gilmore, Thomas McDonald, Max Roberge and Barrett Leary all brought new energy and the offense moved the ball well with solid runs by Jack Costello and Harry Polito. Wilton ran out of time and went into halftime trailing 7-0.

Westport was held to a three and out at the start of the half. Wilton had some production on offense, but again two flags stalled the drive. After Westport again went three and and out, Wilton’s next possession resulted in a 12-play drive that ended in a six-yard TD run by Todd Woodring, who then kicked the PAT to tie the game 7-7.

Now the defense would be tested. Carter Stephenson, Charlie Caporrino and Quin Silva dug in and bent, but did not break, to hold the Wreckers’ 11-yard play drive. Wilton’s next possession ran out the clock to send the game to overtime.

Wilton won the coin toss and chose defense first and gave up no yards in three downs. On the fourth-and-goal pass by Westport, Ethan Gallo had the huge sack to end the possession.

Wilton had three short runs to face fourth and goal from the eight-yard line. A pass from DiRocco to Henry Roy was close but the game moved into double overtime.

Now Wilton was on offense first. The first three plays netted seven yards. With a fourth and goal, Woodring got the ball into the end zone, and then converted the PAT to put Wilton up 14-7.

Now it was Westport’s turn on offense. On first and goal from the 10, the Wreckers broke through for a quick TD. They gambled and went for a two-point conversion, and the win. The Westport QB dropped back to pass, but Roy pressured him to the ground and the quick pass was incomplete to clinch the win for Wilton, 14-13.