Wilton Soccer Association scoreboard

The following games were recently played by Wilton Soccer Association teams.

Boys Travel


Westport 4, Wilton Gold 2

Wilton struggled in the beginning of the first half and trailed 2-0 until Finnegan Bergin responded with a goal to the left corner, followed by another goal by Alex Cameron to tie the score at the half. The second half included persistent defense by Kyle Aleksiejczyk, Conor Bendett, Matthew Masek, Max Greenberg, and Anthony Passaniti, as they worked to keep the ball away from keeper Peter Groves. Although Wilton’s offense kept the pressure on with repeated attempts by Andrew Rubsam, Connor Allen, Cameron Cagenello and Max Jones, Westport scored twice more in the second half to seal the win.

Wilton Blue 5, Monroe 1

Coming off their first State Cup win on Saturday, the Warriors defeated Monroe at home and improved their league record to 3-0. Monroe came out strong early but was stopped by strong defensive play by Grass, Hughes, Rosen and VanHeyst, and many saves by Curley in goal. Offensively, the Warriors moved the ball well with goals by Birchowski (two), R. Etzbach, Coyle and S. Rosen. The midfielders controlled the center, with Brophy, P. Etzbach, Ianuzzi and Lash distributing well.

Wilton vs. Greenwich

The Wilton offense dominated the first half with great passing that resulted in multiple shots on goal. Jack Dodman got a hat trick, scoring goals in the first and second halves. Dylan Smith provided strong pressure on offense, with great support from Connor Lillis moving the ball up the left side. Matthew Tully displayed great dribbling skills, and Amir Sabovic kept Greenwich from advancing. Matt Tabet scored and passed to Dodman for a spectacular goal in the first half. Robbie Ballentine showed great skill dribbling throughout the game. David Simmons made a few key saves in goal, and Dylan Bender’s dribbling skill rounded out the offense. He was equally effective on the defensive end, preventing Greenwich from mounting a viable attack. Dylan Mannix was unstoppable on offense, providing yet another goal for Wilton. Both Micheal Worley and Malcolm McCormick created a defensive wall for Wilton that thwarted Greenwich.

Wilton White 5, Greenwich 5

Westport immediately took control and built an early 2-0 lead with more than five strong shots on goal. Quinn O’Connor started off the Wilton scoring push by finishing off an excellent feed from Nathan Bennett to the right side of the go. The last 15 minutes of the opening half saw a relentless Wilton defensive effort keep the ball in its opponent’s side of the field. Rory Hess, Liam Patty and Troy Bucciero led the defensive efforts during this time and played with skill and aggression in keeping Westport scoreless for the remainder of the first half. Davis Wallon and Chase Autore displayed amazing offensive skills. While the Wilton defense was playing very well, the midfield and front lines went to work to close the gap. Matt Koleszar, Cal Gilchrist, Jeremy Lucas and Simon Alexander continued to push the ball forward, with each player making strong runs at the goal. Alexander was able to convert one of his many shots right before the end of the first half for a 2-2 tie.

Barely 10 minutes into the second half, Westport increased its lead to 4-2. Wilton started to build some offensive momentum, as Bennett took the ball 40 yards out and made a strong run towards the goal. He dribbled into the box, paused, changed directions, and fired a fierce strike, which found the back of the net. A nice steal by Alexander led to a beautiful pass to Bennett, who pushed the ball forward to O’Connor. As O’Connor gained control of the ball, a subtle move towards the outside freed up enough space for a quick shot over the goalie’s right shoulder, tying the score at 4-4 with 15 minutes left. A rebound off a hard shot found O’Connor’s foot for his third goal of the game to give Wilton a 5-4 lead with less than 10 minutes to go. But Westport got the equalizer to end the game in an exciting tie.


Old Greenwich 5, Wilton Gold 3

The first half was well played by both teams. Sam Gioffre had some impressive blocking against Old Greenwich, and Wilton had a few close shots. But the first half ended with Old Greenwich ahead, 2-0.

After halftime Wilton came back strong to tie the game. The first goal was scored by Luke Barbieri with an assist from Scotty Mills. The second goal was scored by Michael Cooper with an assist from Conner Morneau. Michael McHugh had some nice saves in goal. Wilton had strong plays from Ross Edkins, Dylan Evershed, Matthew Ferrante, Tommy Lowell, Drew Martin, and Jamie Martin. Wilton played hard, but Old Greenwich was able to pull ahead by three until Mills got the final goal of the game.

Wilton 4, Old Greenwich 1

Jack Strickland started as goalie, making an amazing early save to set the tone. A strong start from the defensive line, including Christian Furst, Max Andrews and Dylan Koziol, allowed the ball to move forward to Owen English, who sped up the left wing towards the Old Greenwich goal. The defense successfully cleared the ball to attacking midfielders Zarius Eusebe and Andrew Zizzadoro. Then, a scramble in the box allowed Parker Woodring to get a quick left-footed shot above the goalie’s head, putting Wilton up 1-0. Tyler Moody and Tyler Casey fought hard in the back to keep the ball out wide and send it up to Matt Fieldman and Ryan Leung, who kept the pressure on the Old Greenwich defense. However, the game was leveled at 1-1 by halftime. The second half featured Eusebe in goal, and he blanked Old Greenwich with help from Strickland, Casey and Furst on defense. Woodring put two more in the net for Wilton, completing his hat trick. Andrews fired a free kick that was barely knocked away. English took a laser shot on goal that was also saved, while  Moody and Zizzadoro fought to keep the ball up by the Old Greenwich goal. Fieldman took advantage of a goal kick up the middle and blasted one in to the upper left corner, while strong defense from Koziol, Casey and Leung ended the game.


Wilton Blue 2, Monroe 1

Monroe started out with an early goal, but Dave Sylvester was unfazed with four unbelievable saves throughout the first half. This allowed Wilton to shift momentum, with Reid Petrie, Andrey Kosygin and Harry Becraft keeping the pressure on offense. Wilton tied the game with a breakaway run from Wilson Tansill and a cross to Timothy Alber, who deftly planted the ball in the goal. Wilton returned after halftime with Charlie Johnson in goal and Spencer Liston, Peter Grandolfo and Nicholas Walden playing strong defense.  A terrific shot from Dev Madhavani just missed for Wilton but was quickly followed by an impressive upper-corner goal from Tansill for the game-winner.

Greenwich 3, Wilton White 1

Wilton White showed amazing resilience in the face of a tough opponent. Gavin Lepore, Matthew Whitman and Max Bevilacqua repeatedly thwarted Greenwich, and Jefferson Mitchell brought the ball into scoring territory. There was phenomenal twin work, as Jonathan Yerrall blocked a kick and Luke Yerrall caught it to stop a goal. Nathan Downs and Thomas Wilkinson also made critical stops. Goalie Liam Pearsall, with assistance from Lepore, George Schwartz and Cole Silvia, kept Greenwich at bay. Gavin Lowne and Harrison Lent kept up the offensive pressure. A goal by Schwartz was not allowed, but Luke Yerrall scored on a clean shot.

Girls Travel


Wilton Blue 7, Weston 0

It was even play for the first 10 minutes before Eva Greco scored on a breakaway for a her first goal of the day. Greco had two other great shots that were stopped by Weston’s goalie before scoring on another breakaway just before halftime. Despite creating pressure, Weston went scoreless in the first half thanks to strong defensive play by Emme McClintock, Carly Lattimer, Elizabeth Lynch and Caitlin Gilroy. Starting the second half with a 2-0 lead, Wilton’s midfielders kept the ball in control with strong passes by Lauren Chiappetta, Ashleigh Hawthorne, Sophie Schmidt, Thaise Sedono, Anna Cocoros, and Julia Bonnist.

Greco struck first in the second half and Claire Gulbin followed with Wilton’s fourth goal after a pass from Chiappetta. Lilly MacDonald rounded out Wilton’s strong offensive line in the first and second half. Wilton’s goalie, Taylor Floyd, protected by strong defense, saw little action but made a diving save in the second half to keep Weston scoreless. Greco went on to score three more goals while Floyd kept a clean sheet.


Wilton Gold 3, Shoreline 0

As the teams arrived to Allen’s Meadow for the start of their game, they discovered a field covered with puddles and a slick surface. Early on in the match, both teams had to learn to adjust to the field conditions and play started slowly. However, the Wilton squad quickly found its footing and began controlling the game. With Sarah Crocitto, Grace Cahill and Erin McMorris on the attack, Wilton had a number of scoring opportunities, including one shot by Crocitto that went off the crossbar. Finally, about midway through the first half, the home team got on the board. Sarah Allam took a hard shot that was too hot to handle for the Shoreline goalie, and as the ball rolled by her, Wilton’s Fiona O’Brien was there to knock it in. Later in the half, Izzy Cronin gave Wilton a little breathing room as her hustle paid off with a well-deserved goal and a 2-0 advantage. On the defensive side, when the puddles and slippery conditions didn’t stop Shoreline it was the Wilton defense that did the job as Emmy Castano, Sydney Feldman, Katie McMorris, Sophia Savage and Olivia Crisafulli were solid all afternoon. In goal, Lily Umphred (first half) and Carly Morris (second half) were simply unbeatable. The third goal came late in the contest off the foot of Cronin, her second of the game.

East Hampton 3, Wilton White 1

Wilton White acquitted itself admirably in State Cup action this past Saturday, narrowly dropping a fiercely contested battle with East Hampton. From the opening whistle, Wilton was passing crisply with pinpoint precision, and at the 12-minute mark those efforts were rewarded as Lilly Byrnes scorched a frozen rope into the upper left corner of the net. Action remained furious throughout the half, with East Hampton netting its lone goal at the 30-minute mark on an exquisitely placed corner kick. The tie remained until midway through the second half when a discombobulated White substitution resulted in a golden scoring opportunity that East Hampton didn’t squander. Another late goal produced the 3-1 margin, but only after White goalie Riley Milhoua stonewalled not one but two point-blank opportunities, keeping White within striking distance.

Wilton White 3, Westport 2

Directly on the heels of its State Cup action, White defeated Westport in easily its best played match of the year. Scoreless back-and0forth action dominated the first half until Milhoua lofted a shot on goal from 60-feet out that trickily eluded the Westport keeper, allowing White to draw first blood. The defense was led by Catalina King, Maddie Pfeiffer and Alexis Castaldi, who constantly frustrated the skilled Westport ball handlers with timely takeaways, interceptions, and booming clears. Westport evened the match with one minute to go in the half, but 45 seconds later Peyton Gildersleeve deftly caught the right corner of the net, giving White a 2-1 edge. Early in the second half center defender Sam Nichols miraculously cleared to safety a seemingly surefire Westport tying goal from just inside the box. This spurred White to even greater heights, as seven minutes later Brielle Flavin teed up a 30-foot direct free kick and rifled it up and over Westport’s defensive wall, grazing the right post, a fingernail’s reach past the netminder’s outstretched arms. The relentless offensive rushes of Mairead Kehoe, Victoria Fox, Marygrace DelliSanti and Grace Beck seemed to wear the opposition down, ultimately setting up Flavin’s game-winner.


Wilton Blue 1, Southbury 1

Wilton dominated play in the first half with sustained offensive pressure and nifty touch passing by Casey Vanderwall, Ellie Coffey and Amelia Hughes, but it was Cate Adams who scored on a booming kick from just outside the box to make it 1-0. Southbury tried to utilize its size and speed to generate an offensive attack, but Wilton’s defense, led by Gwynn Sullivan, Mia Pepitone and Olivia Newfield, shut Southbury down and Erynn Floyd was strong in net.

The second half saw Wilton continue its strong offensive play led by Abby Morris, Olivia Rossi and Ella O’Meara, highlighted by a crossing pass from Morris to Grace Denious for a great shot that narrowly missed. It was a physical game in which Southbury had two penalty shots, the last of which came in the final seconds on a controversial call. Coffey made a nice attempt at the save, but the shot found the far corner of the net for the tying goal.


Wilton White vs. Greenwich

On the first day of fall, Wilton White faced a tough Greenwich team. The Wilton girls had their best start of the season and showed great improvement overall.

There was a lot of energy on both sides of the field early on in the first half. Georgia Russnok was in goal for Wilton and later relieved by Marlene Jung. They both were confident and made many difficult saves. Miya Lasher, Larson Burke and Sloane Sullivan provided to be a great offensive team, backed by aggressive defense from Kaitlyn Gilchrist, Madison Ratcliffe and Meredith McDonald.

The second half became more physical but didn’t stop the Wilton team from giving it their all. Audrey Dahl was consistent on defense, along with Grace Duvall. Kelly Holmgren really shined in both halves and never seemed to miss an important play.

Wilton Blue tops Monroe

The Wilton girls, who were all in matching hair-bows, continued to show tremendous team work with passing and many shots on goal. The offensive team of Emerson Pattillo, Anna Joy, Mia Cawley, Olivia Maninno, Charlotte Casiraghi, and Isabel DiNanno continuously put pressure on the opponent and were successful with goals by Maninno and DiNanno. Defense stayed tough throughout the game with strong plays by Whitney Hess, Meghan Wood, Molly Snow and Kiana Gow. Heather Plowright had two amazing blocks in goal to keep the Wilton team on top. Jill Roberts scored the final goal as the horn blew for the end of the game.

Wilton White vs. Westport

The White team played its first home game of the season against Westport on Sunday at Allen’s Meadow. The girls played an excellent first half with good passing by Audrey Dahl, Grace Duvall, Maddy Ratcliffe, Meredith McDonald, Georgia Russnok, and Caitlin Allen, and strong defense by Mia Lasher, Sloane Sullivan, Kelly Holmgren and Kaitlyn Gilchrist. Goalkeeper Marlene Jung made many fantastic saves to make a nearly scoreless first half.

In the second half, the girls kept up the offense with attempts on goal by Sullivan and Maddy Ratcliffe, and a goal by Gilchrist. Dahl made several great saves as goalkeeper.