Wilton boys soccer team falls to Conard in states

The Wilton High boys soccer team’s season came to a close in the second round of the Class LL state tournament on Thursday, as sixth-seed Conard defeated the Warriors, 3-1, in West Hartford on Thursday.

Wilton, the 11th seed, finished the season with an 11-6-3 record.

“The team put forth a great effort today ... a lot better than in the first-round game," said Wilton head coach Jim Lewicki. "But we didn’t take advantage of our chances and we made some rookie mistakes that they capitalized on; that’s kind of been our season.”

"Coming into the season there were several question marks about this year’s team," added Lewicki. "We lost a lot of our experience and most of our goal scorers to either graduation or the U.S. Soccer Development Academy program.

"So early in the season I would have been happy to make it to the second round of the state tournament. But as the season went on I realized we had more talent than I originally thought, and making a deep run in the playoffs was in the cards. So I’m a little disappointed that we bowed out in the second round, but it wasn’t because we didn’t put forth a good effort against Conard.”

Wilton looked as though it was going to take an early lead on the Chieftains. In the 12th minute of play the ball deflected to Wilton's Michael Lynch, who put a shot into the net. But the goal was disallowed because Lynch was whistled for being offside.

The game remained scoreless until just before the half. A Conard player had a long direct kick that he blasted toward the net. Wilton goalie Will DeSantis couldn’t make a play on it, but Chauncey Allers was there to pitch in. However, Allers' attempt to clear the ball via a header proved fatal, as the ball ended up in the net for an own goal.

Wilton was dominating the flow of play and controlled possession in excess of 80 percent of the first half, according to Lewicki, but had nothing to show for its effort.

Conard came out in the second half and began to win the possession battles, adding two goals to take a commanding 3-0 lead with 10:20 left in the game.

Matt Przybysz scored an unassisted goal in the 77th minute for Wilton to avoid the shutout.