St. Anthony's tops Wilton boys lax team, 15-6

The scheduled start time was pushed back, and then the late arrival of the visitor's bus further delayed the opening face-0ff. But in the end nothing was going to stop Long Island power St. Anthony’s on Saturday afternoon at Fujitani Field.

Five different St. Anthony’s players scored goals in the first quarter and the Friars never looked back after that, defeating the Wilton High boys lacrosse team, 15-6.

The Warriors played St. Anthony's to a draw for the first six minutes of the contest. The Friars then netted two scores with 5:58 and 5:12 left in the first quarter for a 2-0 lead.

Wilton answered with a man-advantage goal with 4:31 left in the first, as Christan Hansson found the back of the net, assisted by Brendan Devane.

But St. Anthony’s closed the period with three more goals over the final 3:33 for a 5-1 lead after one quarter.

Warrior goalie Jameson Hill came up with a big save to open the second quarter. Hill then sent an outlet pass to Michael Brown, who ran the field unmarked for a goal to cut the Friars' lead to 5-2.

St. Anthony’s scored three consecutive goals to take an 8-2 lead midway through the second quarter. A man-advantage goal by Wilton's Will Garbus made it 8-3 with 3:08 left in the period, but Wilton turned the ball over twice in the final two minutes of the half and the visitors converted those takeaways into scores for a 10-3 lead.

Following the break, Wilton's Harrison Bardwell scored to get the hosts within 10-4, but that was as close as they would get. St Anthony’s held a 12-4 lead at the end of three quarters and remained safely ahead despite Wilton goals by Devane and Roger Hueglin in the fourth quarter.

Hill and Josh Worley each played a half in goal for the Warriors and both picked up six saves. The Warriors' defense and midfield didn’t give enough support to their keepers, allowing St. Anthony's to attack the net at will and go unmarked on the doorstep.

“The team has a ways to go. We're working at it, but we’re clearly not there yet,” said Wilton head coach John Wiseman. "The kids are working hard and I’m starting to see some positive things on the field. Yeah, we still turn the ball over too much and we have lapses on defense, but we’re getting better.

"The only way we can improve is to play a quality opponent like St. Anthony’s," continued Wiseman. "We played them tough for the first six minutes of the game and then again at the start of the second half. We need to see that energy and focus for 48 minutes.

The loss drops the Warriors' record to 4-6, while St. Anthony’s improved to 9-3. St. Anthony’s was led by Danny Jones, who tallied three goals, and Joseph Licciardi, JT Caputo, and Conner Byrne, who each chipped in with two goals.