McMahon tops Wilton boys lax team in OT (updated)

The Brien McMahon boys lacrosse team twice battled back from four-goal deficits to defeat Wilton, 10-9, in overtime Saturday afternoon at Fujitani Field.

The Senators trailed 8-4 at the half and then again 9-5 with 6:16 left to play in the third quarter.

The visitors picked up two more goals in the third to cut the lead to 9-7 at the end of the period. McMahon then scored with 9:17 left in the fourth quarter to make it 9-8, and got the tying goal with 1:39 to play in regulation. Both goals were scored by Chris Gatt.

And in the overtime, with 55 ticks left, it was Gatt’s fourth goal of the game, and third in a row, that gave McMahon the win.

Wilton’s RJ Romeo won the face-off in the overtime, giving the Warriors a chance for the win without the Senators touching the ball. But Wilton couldn’t convert, and McMahon took possession. After both teams turned the ball over, the Senators got the game-winner from Gatt to improve to 10-1 on the season.

The game was tied at 1-1 at the end of the first quarter, with Wilton (5-8) getting on the board first with a goal by Charles McGovern with 7:29 to play in the period. McMahon tied it with 2:52 left in the quarter.

Just before the teams were set for the second-quarter face-off, thunder and lightning appeared and play was halted for more than 30 minutes. When play resumed, both teams picked up the scoring action with 10 goals in the second period.

The Warriors built a 3-1 lead on goals by Harrison Bardwell and McGovern. Bardwell’s goal came after Christan Hansson picked up a rebound behind the net and set up Bardwell in front of the goal.

The Senators scored two goals in a span of seven seconds to tie the game at 3-3. Wilton went back on top 4-3 with a man-advantage goal by Reid Melillo. The Senators turned the ball over and Michael Brown found Melillo wide open on the door step.

But the Senators came right back with a man-advantage goal of their own to tie it at 4-4 with 5:15 to play in the second quarter. The Warriors went on an offensive tear in the final 4:23 with four goals for the 8-4 halftime lead. Will Garbus, Dan Baird, Hansson and Melillo netted goals for the home team. Melillo’s score came with the Senators down a man.

Wilton was doing a better job in picking up ground balls and Jameson Hill was solid in goal with several saves, but the Warriors still were turning the ball over too many times on unforced errors.

McMahon scored first in the second half to make it 8-5, but Wilton answered right back to restore its four-goal lead at 9-5 on a goal by Baird. It would be the final Wilton goal of the game, as the Senators' defense held the Warriors scoreless over the final 18 minutes of regulation and the overtime.

The Warriors got a golden opportunity when McMahon’s Matt Hargrove was called for a two-minute non-releasable foul, but Wilton couldn’t put the ball in the net.

Baird, Melillo and McGovern finished with two goals apiece for Wilton, and Hansson was credited with four assists.

For the Senators, Gatt had four goals and Mitchell Bartolo had three goals.