Greenwich downs Wilton boys lax team

For the second time in less than a week, the Wilton High boys lacrosse team met an opponent that was unbeaten in conference play. And for the second time, the Warriors couldn't pull off an upset.

Five days after losing to Darien, Wilton fell to Greenwich, 10-6, on Thursday evening at Fujitani Field.

The Warriors (5-6 overall) came out with a lot of energy and opened a 2-0 lead, with goals by Harrison Koch and Harrison Bardwell just under four minutes into the game.Wilton held a huge possession advantage in the first quarter and was peppering the Greenwich net but couldn’t add to its early lead.

“We put a  lot of heat on their goalie (Thomas Rogan) early in the game, but he came up with some big stops to hold the score at 2-0," said Wilton head coach John Wiseman.“We had the chances to increase the lead but Rogan did what he is supposed to do, keep people from scoring."

After a Rogan save with 15 seconds to play in the first quarter, Greenwich (9-3 overall, 9-0 FCIAC) quickly pushed the ball up the field and Decker Curran scored with 1.2 seconds left in the first period to close the Wilton lead to 2-1.

Curran scored again less than one minute into the second quarter to tie the game at 2-2, and the Cardinals then scored three unanswered goals to go ahead 5-2 with 6:27 to play in the second period.

The Warriors battled to get back in the game with two goals to cut the Greenwich lead to 5-4. Charlie McGovern supplied both goals on assists from Bardwell, with the second score coming with 45.3 seconds to play in the first half.

Wilton came out of the break and knotted the score at 5-5 on an unassisted goal by Bardwell just 1:12 into the third period. But Greenwich answered with a man-advantage goal with 9:20 left in the period, and then scored again with 5:41 remaining to take a 7-5 lead into the final quarter.

The Cardinals added to their lead with a goal with 7:49 to play, going ahead 8-5. Wilton won the ensuing face-off and Reid Melillo found the back of the net 10 seconds later to get the Warriors back within two at 8-6.

Scott Harrington closed the scoring with two goals late in the fourth period for Greenwich — the second into an empty net with 18.2 seconds to play. Harrington finished with four goals for the Cardinals.

"We need to be able to weather the storm and work through things,” said Wiseman.“The team is working hard and they get off to a good start, but we get stopped on key possessions and the other team turns it into a score. We made some mental errors that Greenwich capitalized on.”

"We came out of the gate fast, but we have to play the full 48 minutes of the game,” said Melillo. “We have to play as a team, not make mental mistakes, and stay focused at the task at hand. We need to be all business when we’re on the field.”

Notes: The face-off specialists — Wilton’s RJ Romeo and Greenwich’s Mike Sullivan — had some long battles in the circle before either team could gain possession.