Girls soccer: Warriors top Cards for third win in a row

Lindsay Groves score once in each half of Wednesday afternoon’s game against the Greenwich Cardinals to lead the Wilton High girls soccer team to a 3-1 win at Kristine Lilly Soccer Field.

It was the third straight win for the Warriors, who are now 7-5 on the season.

Groves’s first score came in the 25th minute and staked the Warriors to the 1-0 lead, as she sent a long, high shot into the far corner for the goal.

Groves had almost scored in the fourth minute of the game when Paisley Eagan send a perfect through ball to her. Groves turned the corner with the ball and found herself one on one with the Cardinals’ keeper but, with the far side of the goal wide open, her shot went right to the goalie for the save.

“I took a bad angle to the goal and it didn’t leave me much choice on my shot. This is something I know I need to work on,” said Groves.

The Warriors took the 1-0 lead into halftime.

Wilton won the possession battle of the first half, but both teams demonstrated good, disciplined play and made good runs up the field, with most of the action taking place between the 18-yard lines.

The Warriors came out of the halftime break and upped their lead to 2-0 just 2:40 in the second half. Senior Zoe Lash sent her corner kick into the middle of the goal box and the ball found Eagan unmarked, as the visitors seemed to be ball-watching. Eagan fired off a quick shot for the score.

Wilton kept the offensive pressure on, looking to add to the lead. In the 53rd and 55th minutes, Groves had chances to add to her goal total but sent both shots wide. On the first attempt, Groves again got a step on her defender and on the second she was the benefactor of the hard work by Eagan to bring the ball up the field. Eagan won several battles with the Cardinal defender to advance the ball.

The Warriors’ failed attempts seemed to put new life in the Cardinals, as they went on the attack, putting the Warriors back on their heels. In the 57th minute, a Greenwich corner kick nearly led to a score, but Wilton keeper Taylor Floyd was in position for the save.

Groves’s second goal, in the 68th minute of play, put the home team up 3-0. Groves was able to get by her defender on the wing and send another long shot past the Cardinals’ goalie.

“This time I put myself in a better position to get a good look at the goal and well placed my shot. I saw the goalie come off the goal line so I went for the long range shot.”

Groves went on to say, “Our offense seems to be getting back into the swing of things. We had that four-game stretch where we couldn’t get a goal, but I think we’re past that.”

Greenwich got one back with 5:39 to play for the 3-1 final.

“We did what we needed to do and got the win,” said Wilton head coach Renato Topalli. “The team played well, but not good enough. We scored on the hard goals and didn’t on ones we should have. When we have the chance to put away a team, we have to do it. We have to continue to work hard and get better.”

Topalli praised the hard work and effort that he gets every game from midfielder Sophia Sudano.

“She’s the unsung hero, whose stats don’t always show up in the box score,” he said. “She works hard and stays focused at both ends of the field.”

Wilton travels to Danbury on Friday for a 6 p.m. game.