Girls soccer: Groves leads Warriors to fourth straight win

Sophomore Lindsay Groves netted two goals in the Wilton High girls soccer team’s 2-1 win over the Fairfield Ludlowe Falcons on Thursday night in Fairfield.

That marked the third consecutive game that Groves put two in the net in her team’s three victories.

The Warriors have now won four straight and their record stands at an impressive 5-1-1. The loss dropped the Falcons to 1-4-1.

For the second game in a row, the Warriors got off to a slow offensive start and again the defense came up with a solid performance to keep the Falcons off the board.

Wilton broke the scoreless tie late in the first half, as Groves was the benefactor of great setup passes from her teammates. Andrea Benalcazar assisted Groves on her first goal, which came in the final minute of the first half.

Groves’ second score came with eight minutes left in the contest, this time assisted by Izzy King, giving Wilton a 2-0 lead.

Groves has excellent speed and has that extra gear to turn the corner and get by her defender. She runs the field well and she also does a great job in reading the field and the opponent’s goalie.

After the game, Wilton head coach Renato Topalli added praises for the performance of Benalcazar and Sophia Sudano for their all-around effort. Sudano had two good looks at goals, but couldn’t put them in the net.

“This team gave an unbelievable effort tonight,” said Topalli. “They come out each game and out-battle their opponent and show a great desire to win. They play with confidence and put forth a great team effort. The defense was again solid in today’s game.

“We’ve had some tough games this week, so I think the slow start was due to some tired legs,” he continued. “We talked at the half about possessing the ball more in the second half and that’s just what they came out and did. Ludlowe gave as a good battle and they are much better than what their record shows.”

The Falcons averted the shutout when Peyton Brown score in the closing seconds of the game for the 2-1 final.