Boys soccer: Wilton tops Trinity 4-1 to end skid

The Wilton High boys soccer team picked up a much-needed win on Wednesday afternoon over the winless Trinity Catholic Crusaders at Kristine Lilly Field. The Warriors beat the Crusaders, 4-1, in a less-than-impressive fashion for their first victory in four games.

Wilton outshot the Crusaders 26-4 and controlled possession most of the contest, but had several other quality rushes that didn’t result in scores.

Prior to today’s game, Trinity (0-8) had allowed opponents an average of almost eight goals a game, while only scoring twice.

With the win, the Warriors' record moved to 3-6 with seven games remaining in the regular season. The team needs to go 3-3-1 over these games to qualify for the state tournament.

“I’ve driven home what we need to do the rest of the way to the team. It’s up to them to act on it,” said Wilton head coach Jim Lewicki. “I told the seniors to treat each game as it could be your last. We have a tough schedule in front of us and we need to find some wins. In my first year as head coach our record sat at 3-8 and the team went on to win the last five games of the season to make states, so anything is possible if you want it.”

Wilton opened the scoring with a goal in the ninth minute of play. Alvaro Alonso put a shot on net that was deflected and came right to Jack Ginsberg, who was unmarked on the back-post goal line. Ginsberg had nothing but daylight and tucked into the corner for the 1-0 lead.

The Warriors put constant on the Crusaders’ defense and goalie, but it wasn’t until the 34th minute that Wilton found the back of the net again. Ryan McNamara passed to senior co-captain Nick Davatzes, who blasted his mid-range shot off the far post into the net.

With 3:02 left in the first half, the Warriors increased their lead to 3-0 on Davatzes’ second goal of the game. The Wilton goal came as the home team moved the ball quickly up the field in the bang, bang play. Tim Foley advanced the ball past the midfield stripe and passed to McNamara. McNamara sent a diagonal pass towards the wing to Rhys Evershed, who quickly got the ball to Davatzes for the score.

The Crusaders ruined the Warriors shutout with a goal in the 51st minute on a breakaway score that the Trinity player was clearly off-sides. A teammate lofted a long ball just over the center stripe, where Jacob Calle got behind two Wilton defenders. He had a clear path to the goal and popped his shot over the Wilton goalie’s head to make the score 3-1.

Wilton regained the three-goal lead in the 56th minute on a goal by McNamara, assisted by Matt Rubsam.

Luis Benitez had a solid game in goal for Trinity to keep the game close.

The Warriors came away with the win but lacked intensity from the opening whistle.

“Yeah, we got off to a slow start like we usually do and we took our foot off the gas when we were up the three goals,” said senior co-captain Owen Evershed. “We know what we have to do the rest of the season. Hopefully the win will help change the team’s mindset. The team captains need to make sure we work hard in practice and in the games. It’s been slow, but I feel we’re playing better as a team and looking for even more improvement.”