Boys soccer: Wilton comes out flat in opener, falls to Vikings

The Wilton boys soccer team players have very little varsity level playing experience and it showed on Friday in the season opener against the Westhill Vikings of Stamford.

The Vikings rode a 3-0 halftime lead to a 4-1 win over the Warriors on Friday at Kristine Lilly Field.

The Warriors have 13 seniors on the roster, but only a few played at the varsity level last season. Wilton Head Coach Jim Lewicki was totally disappointed with the way his team played.

“I’m embarrassed for the way we played today” stated Lewicki. “Yes it’s early in the season, but we didn’t apply anything that we did in practice on the field today. We made too many mistakes, were caught ball watching, didn’t switch the field on offense, and didn’t win any 50-50 balls. If we came out and gave 110 percent and still lost, I would something positive to take away from today’s game, but that wasn’t the case. Sure, it was hot out there today, but both teams played under the same conditions.

“This is not what I expected today and that tells me we have a lot of work to do — and we don’t have much time to fix it.”

The Vikings visibly took the field more focused, disciplined, and determined than the home team. Westhill showed excellent speed in tracking down loose balls, racing down the field, and stepping in front of Warrior passes.

The Warriors did take the opening face-off and quickly advance the ball into the box, but came away empty and they also had a direct kick just outside the top of the box in the fifth minute, but Ryan McNamara’s shot went high and wide.

The Vikings’ Luca Mastrogiacomo got the game’s first goal in the ninth minute of play for the 1-0 Westhill lead. Mastrogiacomo picked a long pass at midfield and quickly got past his defender for the breakaway score. The Warrior’s back line had pushed up to midfield, giving Mastrogiacomo the open field to run free.

In the 27th minute, a goal by Oscar Funes made to 2-0 Vikings. Funes was left unmarked near the far post and he put home the crossing pass from Matrusz Dzieman.

Dylan Sparks goal in the 37th minute gave Westhill a 3-0 lead going into the break. Sparks’s score was another breakaway goal, leaving the Warrior goalie Charlie Hess with little chance for the save.

The Warriors picked up their level of play in the second half and got its lone goal of the game in the 61st minute off a direct from McNamara from 20 yards out, whose shot found the near corner of the net. The Warriors used a set play where two other players faked taking the kick before McNamara took the shot.

Mastrogiacomo added his second goal of the game in the 73rd minute to close out the scoring. Again, Mastrogiacomo was left open in the goal box as he fired home the goal.

Owen Evershed, one of the Warriors tri-captains, weighed in on his team’s performance.

“We didn’t bring the level of intensity to the field that we needed to compete with them” said Evershed. “We sometimes looked like deer in headlights. Soccer at the varsity level calls for you to respond to what you see and be quick to react and we didn’t today. We clearly have a lot to work on, but I feel we have the talent to put forth a better effort in our upcoming games.”