Boys soccer: Struggles continue for Wilton in loss to Ludlowe

The Wilton High boys soccer team’s nightmare of a season continued Wednesday afternoon, as the Warriors were shut out 4-0 by the Fairfield Ludlowe Falcons at Kristine Lilly Field.

The Warriors are 0-4 this season on their home turf and has been outscored 13-3 in those games.

Wilton head coach Jim Lewicki doesn’t remember one of his team’s starting the season with a 2-5 record. The team is going through the lack-of-varsity-playing-time woes, as inexperience shows against tough FCIAC opponents.

The Warriors also lack team speed to create opportunities on offense, close down the lanes in the midfield area, and keep their attackers from getting by them on defense.

The Warriors got off to a good start, taking the opening face-off and putting forth a well-organized drive up the field. In that opening effort, the Warriors used several back passes to open up the field, finding the open man. In that rush Wilton had a direct kick from about 25 yards out, but Ryan McNamara’s nicely-placed ball found no one in front of the goal to get off a shot attempt.

The Falcons got on the board in the 14th minute when James Roland passed to Matheus Nascimento, who blasted a shot that hit off a player in front of the goal and went over the goalie’s head into the net for the 1-0 lead.

Ludlowe carried the 1-0 lead into the halftime break.

Fairfield increased its lead to 2-0 in the 14th minute of the second half. This time it was Nascimento who fed Roland for the score.

In the 18th minute of the second half, Kyle Mazza’s goal made it 3-0 in favor of the visitors. Mazza was able to get a step on the Wilton defender and had an open look at the net for his goal.

The Warriors’ inexperience continued to show in the second half. They were also making passes that didn’t seem to have a purpose as they fell to open areas where there were no Wilton players. And their lack of speed didn’t allow them to get separation from the defense or enable them to turn the corner on the wings.

“We play hard for long periods and then we lose our focus and give up goals,” said Wilton senior co-captain Nick Davatzes. “We have to put it all together and play 80 minutes. On offense we do well with the ball. It’s just that final third of the field that we have issues with. We have a huge rivalry match Friday against Ridgefield and we will be looking to see who steps up their game to pick up the team.”

With 4:27 left on the game clock, Roland picked up his second goal of the game to close out the scoring and give the Falcons the 4-0 win. He dribbled down the center of the field and was able to get by the Warrior defender, giving him a wide-open look at the net for his goal.

Tyler Smith was in net for the Warriors and didn’t get the support he needed on the visitor’s goals

Jack McGuire was in net in the first half for Fairfield and Max Pfleghar was between the pipes in the second half. Neither Fairfield goalie had had to fight off sustained pressure by the Warriors.