Boys soccer: Farmington tops Wilton, 4-3, in state tourney

Evan Hughes did Harry Allers one better.

Hughes scored all four goals — including the last two in the final seven minutes — to lead seventh-seed Farmington past 15th-seed Wilton, 4-3, in a Class LL state tournament quarterfinal game Saturday in Farmington.

Allers, a senior forward, had all three goals for the Warriors, who ended the season with a 12-5-3 record.

Allers' third goal, a header off a free kick from Jack Brandt, put Wilton ahead, 3-2, midway through the second half. But Hughes tied the game with just under seven minutes left and then added the game-winning goal with just 1:32 to play.

A direct kick by Hughes gave Farmington a 1-0 lead less than six minutes into the game. Allers tied the score in the 16th minute on an assist from Brandt and then put Wilton in front, 2-1, in the 20th minute on an assist from Daniel Jensen.

Hughes answered for Farmington, getting his second goal with under five minutes left to tie the game at 2-2 at halftime.

The Warriors struck first in the second half, as Allers finished off his hat trick, but Hughes still had two goals left in him, providing Farmington with the margin of victory and a berth in the Class LL semifinals.

Notes: Wilton goalie Mitchell Bascom finished with five saves.

Farmington will now play another FCIAC team, 11th-seed Darien, in the semifinals on Tuesday at 6:30 at Naugatuck High School. Darien knocked off third-seed Fairfield Prep, 1-0, in another quarterfinal game Saturday.

The Farmington/Darien winner faces either top-seed Glastonbury or 28th-seed Bridgeport Central in the Class LL finals next Friday or Saturday at a site to be announced. Central, which went just 6-7-3 during the regular season and did not qualify for the FCIAC playoffs, has been the Cinderella story of the state tourney. The Hilltoppers have won three straight Class LL games (all on the road), beating fifth-seed East Hartford, 12th-seed Southington, and 13th-seed Hall-West Hartford.