Wilton boys lax team routs New Fairfield in state semis (updated)

Lose a game in the state tournament and your season and, in some cases, your high school career are over.

That realization has proven to be a great motivator for the Wilton High boys lacrosse team.

Despite being seeded 17th in Class M, the Warriors are one win away from another state title. Wilton scored nine unanswered goals and went on to beat fifth-seed New Fairfield, 10-3, in a Class M semifinal game Wednesday at Fairfield Ludlowe.

Wilton (12-9) will now play second-seed Joel Barlow in the championship game Saturday at 11 at Brien McMahon in Norwalk. Barlow edged third-seed New Canaan, 5-4, in overtime in the other Class M semifinal Wednesday.

“The seniors know this is our last shot and we’re all pulling for each other," said Wilton senior co-captain Mike Burns following the win over New Fairfield. “We have had a rise in our confidence since the playoffs started and picked up our intensity level. The team gave a complete team effort tonight and I’m of how we played as a team. We’re going to do the same to win the championship."

Following a scoreless first quarter, New Fairfield took a 1-0 lead two minutes into the second period. But Wilton responded to go ahead, 3-1, at halftime and then outscored New Fairfield, 5-0, in the third quarter for an 8-1 lead.

Each team scored twice in the final 12 minutes.

Ryder Farmakis, Brendan Devane, Luke Reyes-Guerra-Dunn, Mike Burns, Tommy Hayes, Christian Hansson, Henry Lee, Eric Noonan, Ted Ottens, and Ryan Brameier scored one goal apiece for the Warriors.

Wilton goalie Conor Johnson made five saves, while Ottens won 13-of-16 face-offs.

“Both teams got off to a slow start as we were kind of feeling each other out. We were getting open looks early but the shots were off their mark," said Wilton head coach John Wiseman. “I told them to be patient, keep working it, and don’t get discouraged ... it will come. They are coming together as a team at the right time of the year."