Wilton historian and former First Selectman Bob Russell will lead the first of two walking tours of the Wilton Historical Society’s preserved Lambert Corner buildings Saturday, Sept. 19, at 11.
The hour-long tour includes the Lambert House, which was built on the site c.1726, and eight other buildings moved there in order to preserve them. They are the Lambert Cottage, Kent District School, Hurlbutt Street Country Store and Post Office, Wilton Railroad Station, Davenport Barn, Cannon Family General Store, 18th-Century Cannon Family Corn Crib and the ever popular George Davenport Greek Revival Privy. The entire site comprises Wilton’s Historic District #1.
Most are now used as shops and offices. A pioneer in the adaptive re-use of historic structures, the society has rescued, in total, 18 buildings typical of a New England rural community on three campuses in Wilton, all visible from Route 7.
During the tour, Russell will share some of the interesting stories of the people associated with the buildings.
Tours will end at noon at the Historical Christmas Barn store, 150 Danbury Road, where cider and cookies will be served. Other businesses in the complex will be open. Comfortable walking attire is suggested.
Participants are asked to register for the tour by emailing email@example.com or calling 203-762-7257.