Raising civil children
Alicia Farrell, Ph.D., will present a program on Civility: Teaching Children Respect, Tolerance and Empathy in a Complicated World on Tuesday, Oct. 17, from 10 to 11:30, at Wilton Library. Farrell is a cognitive psychologist and founder of Clearview Consulting.
The workshop will is designed to help parents learn how to mentor their children, regardless of their age, as they learn to be positive self-advocates while building life-skills around respect, tolerance and empathy.
Among the questions to be considered are:
- What does it mean to parent through an assumption of goodwill?
- What is positive parenting; how do I do it and how does it influence my children’s well-being?
- How do I empower my children without losing control as a parent?
- How is my attitude and resilience related to my own health and wellness?
Future programs include:
- Jan. 24, 2018: “How to raise successful kids without over-parenting” TED Talk screening and discussion with social worker Tracey Masella of Silver Hill Hospital.
- March 20, 2018: “Managing Media: What to do, how to do it and why it’s important” with psychologists Susan Bauerfeld and Chris Parrott.