Lambert Corner walking tour
Former First Selectman and historian Bob Russell will lead a walking tour of the Wilton Historical Society’s preserved buildings at Lambert Corner on Saturday, Oct. 7, at 11.
The hour-long guided tour includes Lambert House, formerly known as Lilacstead, which was built on the site c.1726, and eight other buildings moved there in order to preserve them. They are the Lambert Cottage, Kent District School, Hurlbutt Street Country Store and Post Office, Wilton Railroad Station, Davenport Barn, Cannon Family General Store, 18th-century Cannon Family Corn Crib and the not-to-be-missed George Davenport Greek Revival Privy.
Russell will share some of the interesting stories of the people associated with the buildings.
The entire site comprises Wilton’s Historic District #1. The group will set out from the porch of the Historical Christmas Barn, 150 Danbury Road. All are welcome at no charge.
The buildings at Lambert Corner were moved to the site of the original Lambert homestead, at the intersection of Routes 7 and 33, over the past 40 years. Most of the buildings are now used as shops and offices. The society has rescued 18 buildings typical of a New England rural community on three campuses, all visible from Route 7.
The tour will end at noon at the Historical Christmas Barn store where cider and cookies will be served.
Register: email@example.com or 203-762-7257.