Former first selectman and Wilton historian Bob Russell will lead the final walking tour offered this fall of the Wilton Historical Society’s preserved Lambert Corner buildings. To be held on Saturday, Oct. 17 at 11, the hour-long guided tour includes the Lambert House, which was built on the site c.1726, and eight other buildings moved there in order to preserve them. They are the Lambert Cottage, Kent District School, Hurlbutt Street Country Store and post office, Wilton railroad station, Davenport Barn, Cannon Family General Store, 18th-century Cannon family corn crib and the George Davenport Greek Revival Privy. The entire site comprises Wilton’s Historic District No. 1. The group will set out from the porch of the Historical Christmas Barn.
Russell, author of Wilton, Connecticut: Three Centuries of People, Places, and Progress, will share stories of the people associated with the buildings. He may recount the details from a chapter in his book concerning “the most sensational crime in Wilton’s history, which took place in December 1897, when the last Wilton member of one of the town’s most prominent families, a quiet unassuming gentleman schoolteacher, David S. Lambert, was shot down in cold blood in his home, the Lambert House.”
The buildings at Lambert Corner were moved to the site of the original Lambert homestead, known as Lilacstead, at the intersection of Routes 7 and 33 over the past 40 years. Most of the buildings are now used as shops and offices. The historical society has rescued, in total, 18 buildings typical of a New England rural community on three campuses in Wilton, all visible from Route 7.
Tours will end at noon at the Historical Christmas Barn store, 150 Danbury Road, where cider and cookies will be served. Other businesses in the complex will be open. Comfortable walking attire is suggested.
Register for this event by emailng email@example.com or calling 203-762-7257.