Senior Center News: July 21
On Thursday, July 28, a demonstration of making healthy shakes will take place in the Wilton Senior Center lounge at 11 a.m., sponsored by BridghtStar, which provides non-medical private duty home healthcare and medical staffing for children, adults and seniors. After lunch at noon in the café, Synergy HomeCare will provide prizes for bingo, which begins at 12:45. More than 60 different games available for play.
Sept. 1 is the deadline for elderly renters and totally disabled renters to file for the State of Connecticut’s annual renter’s rebate program. Under this program, they may be eligible for a rebate of up to $900.
Elderly applicants must have been 65 years of age by Dec. 31, 2015; have rented in Connecticut for at least one year; and have income for 2015 of less than $35,200 if single and $42,900 if filing married. There is no age requirement for totally disabled renters; however, all remaining requirements are the same as for elderly renters.
Eligible renters should come to the Assessor’s Office between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Renters must bring proof of income, including their Federal 1040 tax return, Social Security 1099 statement, rent receipts and utility bills for the year ending Dec. 31, 2015. Totally Disabled renters must also bring proof of disability.
Questions may be directed to 203-563-0121.
Enjoy lunch at Ridgefield Visiting Nurse Association (RVNA)’s new Center for Exceptional Care while learning how to declutter, sort, right-size and pack from Deirdre Dolan Nesline, owner of DeClutter by Deirdre and a senior move specialist. Deirdre can help with the difficult and emotional task of organizing and moving or organizing and staying in place. The event takes place from noon to 1:30, at 27 Governor Street in Ridgefield. It is free and open to the public. Lunch will be provided. RSVP to RVNA at 203-438-5555.
Medicare enrollment alert
Remember: When you turn 65 you are required to enroll in Medicare Part A. If you are still working and covered under an insurance plan provided by your employer, you can postpone enrolling in Medicare Part B until you retire, but you are still required to activate your Medicare Part A. This is a simple process that may be completed online by going to www.Medicare.gov or you may call Lauren Hughes at the Wilton Department of Social Services, 203-834-6238.
The enrollment period begins three months before the month of your 65th birthday and extends for three months after the month of your 65th birthday. If you do not enroll during this period, even if you are still covered under your employer’s insurance, you risk future financial penalties.
For the week of July 22:
- Friday, July 22, 10, Feldenkrais with Cathy Paine; 12, Bridge with Eleanor Mihailidis; 1:30, Bridge with Sharon Frost.
- Monday, July 25, 10:30, Line Dance Fusion with Beatriz Araujo; 11-1, Walk-in Biometric Screenings at Ridgefield VNA; 12, Movie; 1, Encore Bridge; 1, Studio Knitting.
- Tuesday, July 26, 9:45, BeMoved with Phyllis Hirschfield; 11, Yoga with Denise O’Hearn; 12:30 to 2, Blood Pressure Screening at Village Market; 12:30, Mah Jongg with Kay Chann.
- Wednesday, July 27, 10, Open Bridge with Dan DeVlieg; 10:30, Tai Chi with Joe Alampi; 1, Mah Jongg.
- Thursday, July 28, 10, Yoga with Denise O’Hearn; 11, Healthy Shakes sponsored by BrightStar; 12:00 Lunch; 12:45, Bingo sponsored by Synergy HomeCare.