Senior Center News: April 9
Visiting Nurse & Hospice of Fairfield County will conduct the screening Monday, April 13, 8:45 to noon, at the Wilton Senior Center. Appointments required; call 203-762-8958 ext. 221. The cost is $25, cash or check.
The test includes total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides and glucose. Results in 10 minutes; allow 30 minutes for appointment. Fasting is recommended, but not necessary.
Kathy Engstrom, owner of A Fresh Eye, LLC, specializes in home decorating, staging houses for resale, and move management. On Friday, April 17, in the senior center lounge from 10:30 to 12:30, she will present Stage Your Home to Sell!
The fee is $5. Registration: 203-834-6240.
A healthy back
Back pain is one of the biggest reasons Americans take pain relievers, but according to Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN, a new study shows they help very little.
For those who want to try something different, Denise O’Hearn will present Yoga for Back Health on Tuesday, April 21, 9 to 10:30 a.m.
She will cover different types of muscular back pain, what may be causing pain and what you can do to minimize or even eliminate that pain.
No yoga experience necessary. Sessions take place at the Comstock dance studio. The fee is $25 per session. Call 203-210-5780 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot. Space is limited.
Learn to relax
Stress can lead to pain and many other maladies, and one way to relieve stress is to learn to relax. Sonia Katz will help you achieve a deep level of relaxation through simple self-hypnosis.
Sessions take place on Thursday, April 16, at 2 in the senior center lounge. Participants sit in chairs (straight back or sofa style) for the gathering. The fee is $5 per class. Call 203-834-6240 for reservations.
Elderly or disabled homeowners may receive tax benefits under Wilton’s tax relief program if:
- You were at least 65 years of age or over as of Dec. 31, 2014, or your spouse was; or you were at least 60 years of age as of Dec. 31, 2014, and you are the surviving spouse of a taxpayer who qualified for tax relief at the time of his/her death; or you are under 65 years of age and permanently totally disabled under Social Security Disability; and
- You have been a Wilton taxpayer for at least one year; and
- You have occupied your Wilton property as your principal residence for more than 183 days during the past twelve months; and
- Your qualifying household income for 2014 is $80,150 or less.
You may be entitled to a reduction in your real estate tax and you may be able to postpone payment of a percentage of the tax balance.
The application deadline is Friday, May 15, 2015, for tax credit and tax deferral benefits affecting your real estate tax bill payable in July 2015 and January 2016. Town of Wilton and State of Connecticut Tax Relief applications are available at the assessor’s office in town hall. For more information, call the assessor’s office at 203-563-0121.
All activities take place at the senior center (203-834-6240) unless otherwise specified.
For the week of April 10:
• Friday, April 10 , 9:30, Knitting; 10, Feldenkrais with Cathy Paine; 10, Jewelry Workshop with Viola Galetta; 12, Bridge with Eleanor Mihailidis; 1:30, Intermediate Bridge with Dan DeVlieg.
• Monday, April 13 , 8:45 to 12, Cholesterol Screening by appointment only; 9:30, Line Dance Fusion; 12, Movie; 1, Bridge.
• Tuesday, April 14 , 11, Yoga with Denise O’Hearn; 1, Studio Knitting with Lizabeth Doty; 2, Chair Yoga at Ogden House; 2, Mah Jongg with Kay Chann.
• Wednesday, April 15 , 9:30, Sewing at Ogden House; 10, Open Bridge with Dan DeVlieg; 10, Comstock Writers with Magdalene Livesey; 10:30, Tai Chi with Joe Alampi; 12, Lunch at Ogden House following by the music of the Hoot Owls; 1, Mah Jongg.
• Thursday, April 16 , 9, Enhance Fitness with Leslie Hinshaw; 9:30, Drawing with Martha Talburt; 10, Yoga with Denise O’Hearn; 12, Studio Drawing with Martha Talburt; 12, Lunch at St. Matthew Church.