Senior Center News: April 23
This month’s book discussion takes place on Tuesday, April 28, at 11 a.m. Miwako Ogasawara will lead the discussion of Theodor Fontane’s Effi Briest. When this complex novel, translated from the German, was first published as a book in 1895 it was its 75-year-old author’s first real literary success. Fontane based the story on a scandal he had heard of from a friend around 1888. Effie Briest, as a literary character, has been compared to Emma Bovary and Anna Karenina. But more than a story of adultery, it captures a world on the eve of its dissolution.
Fontane’s writing is compared with that of Jane Austen in that it works through “glimpses and allusions” with a limited circle of characters whom we meet in small groups. Thomas Mann is reported to have said in 1919 that Effie Briest belonged among the six most significant novels ever written.
Lunch prepared by Yolanda Bonomo will be served in the café following the discussion. To reserve a place at the discussion and lunch, call the senior center at 203-834-6240.
Call the senior center at 203-834-6240 to reserve your place.
From the office of Assessor David Lisowski: Elderly Wilton homeowners and totally disabled homeowners who have not yet applied for tax relief benefits on their July 2015 tax bills are reminded that Friday, May 15, is the last day applications will be accepted in the assessor’s office. The application deadline will not be extended.
The town of Wilton tax relief program requires an annual filing. The state of Connecticut tax relief program requires a biennial filing. Please call the assessor’s office at 203-563-0122 if you have any questions.
For the week of April 24:
• Friday, April 24 , 9:30, Knitting; 10, Feldenkrais with Cathy Paine; 12, Bridge with Eleanor Mihailidis; 1:30, Intermediate Bridge with Dan DeVlieg.
• Monday, April 27 , 10:30, Line Dance Fusion; 12, Movie; 1, Bridge; 1, Studio Knitting with Lizabeth Doty.
• Tuesday, April 28 , 11, Yoga with Denise O’Hearn; 11, Book Discussion with Miwako Ogasawara; 12, Lunch; 12:30 to 2, Blood Pressure Screening at the Village Market; 12:30, Mah Jongg with Kay Chann; 2, Chair Yoga at Ogden House; 3, Stay at Home Meeting.
• Wednesday, April 29 , 9:30, Sewing at Ogden House; 10, Open Bridge with Dan DeVlieg; 10:30, Tai Chi with Joe Alampi; 1, Mah Jongg.
• Thursday, April 30 , 9, Enhance Fitness with Leslie Hinshaw; 10, Yoga with Denise O’Hearn; 11;45, Complimentary Lunch and Bingo at Wilton Meadows.