Senior Center News: April 2
Andrea Ragusa will moderate a reading of $38,000 for a Friendly Face by Kristin Shepherd on Monday, April 6 and 12:30. Copies of the play are available in the Senior Center café.
This play is a heartfelt contemporary comedy set in a small-town funeral home. An unpleasant woman dies and her two estranged daughters arrive at the funeral home for the celebration of life service. Matt is new in the funeral home business and is trying his best. The women of the last supper committee are preparing food for the event. It soon becomes apparent that no one else is coming to the service. The play takes a humorous look at what matters most in relationships, in families, friendships, and celebrations of life. First produced in Canada in 2005, it was the winner of the 2007 Samuel French Canadian Playwright Contest.
Talking with your doctor
What do you need to know when preparing for a visit to the doctor? Registered nurse Melody Orphen-Matheny will provide some pointers on Talking with your Doctor, Thursday, April 9, at 11:15. Her presentation will include how to prepare for an appointment, share information with your doctor, and incorporate your doctor’s recommendations into your life. Reservations: 203-834-6240.
BYOD — “Bring your own device” on Wednesday, April 8, at 1, and follow along as Melissa Baker demonstrates how to download popular magazines onto your mobile device or computer. There is something for everyone and hours of enjoyment for patrons with Wilton Library cards.
This series is presented by Wilton Library for seniors at the senior center. Registration at 203-762-3950 or wiltonlibrary.org is strongly recommended.
Visiting Nurse & Hospice of Fairfield County will hold a screening on Monday, April 13, from 845 to noon, at the senior center. Appointments required. Includes total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides and glucose. A simple finger stick produces results within 10 minutes. Allow 30 minutes for your appointment. Fasting recommended, but not necessary. Call 203-762-8958 ext. 221. The cost is $25, cash or check.
Students for Seniors
This group offers one-on-one assistance to help you navigate your cell phone, iPad and other devices. Get individual attention. Call Neal at 203-762-7751 to set up a time to meet at the senior center.
A Facebook seminar will cover creating an account, posting photos and videos, viewing, liking and commenting, messaging Facebook friends, and reviewing security settings. Taught by Students for Seniors; April 8, 3:15 p.m. at the senior center. Fee: $15.
Synergy HomeCare of Fairfield presents Growing Old is Not for Sissies: Some Alternatives and Ideas on Wednesday, April 22, at noon at the senior center. The panelists will provide timely information for current and future consideration. The panel will include:
- Jay Kiley, owner and regional director of Synergy HomeCare, representing non-medical homecare;
- Melissa Hripak, admissions director at St. Joseph’s Center in Trumbull, representing rehab and nursing homes;
- Ann Fowler Cruz, Cohen and Wolf elder law attorney, presenting legal options in planning for future years;
- Christy Perone, director of admissions at Brookdale Place Wilton, presenting assisted living considerations.
A light lunch will be provided. Reservations: 203-834-6240.
All activities take place at the senior center (203-834-6240) unless otherwise specified.
For the week of April 3:
- Friday, April 3: Good Friday, senior center closed.
- Monday, April 6, Line Dance Fusion at 10:30, Movie at 12,Play Reading with Andrea Ragusa at 12:30, Bridge at 1.
- Tuesday, April 7: Acrylics with Althea Ericcson at 10, Yoga with Denise O’Hearn at 11, Garden Club Lunch and Activity at 12, Chair Yoga at Ogden House at 2.
- Wednesday, April 8: Sewing at Ogden House at 9:30, Open Bridge with Dan DeVlieg at 10, Tai Chi with Joe Alampi at 10:30, Duplicate Bridge at 12, Mah Jongg at 1, Free Magazine Downloads with Melissa Baker of the Wilton Library at 1, Facebook with Neal Sarup at 3:15.
- Thursday, April 9: Enhance Fitness with Leslie Hinshaw at 9, Drawing with Martha Talburt at 9:30, Yoga with Denise O’Hearn at 10, Studio Drawing with Martha Talburt at 11:10 and 12, Lunch at 12, Bingo at 12:45.