Senior Center News
Winter weather approaching
We are reaching that time of the year again where weather plays a crucial role in our day to day living. “Weather” we like it or not, we have to prepare for cold snowy weather. Here’s a list of recommendations and reminders provided by the National Institute on Aging to stay on top of the cold weather:
Keep warm inside:
- Set heat to 68-70 degrees; Close doors to rooms not being used.
- Make sure you are not losing heat through doors and windows. If you have gaps around the windows, try using weather stripping or caulking to prevent cold air from coming in.
Bundle up on windy days:
- Always try to wear a hat on cold days, we lose most of our body heat from our heads.
- Wear waterproof jackets when it is snowy outside.
Illnesses and medicine make it harder for your body to stay warm:
- Thyroid problems can make it hard to maintain a normal body temperature.
- Diabetes can keep blood from flowing normally to provide warmth.
- Parkinson’s disease and arthritis can make it hard to put on more clothes, use a blanket, or get out of the cold.
On a cold day, please come into the Wilton Senior Center; warm up and grab yourself a hot cup of coffee or tea. Play a game of pool, or come to one of our many activities.
Also, don’t forget to stop by the Wilton Social Services office and meet the new social services activities coordinator, Stephanie Belcher. Her hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 4: Feldenkrais with Cathy Paine at 10, Jewelry Making with Viola Galetta at 10, Bridge at noon, and Intermediate Bridge with Mike Hess at 1.
Monday, Jan. 7: Line Dancing at 10:30, Movie at noon, and Bridge at 1.
Tuesday, Jan. 8: Be Moved! with Phyllis Hirschfield at 9:45, Yoga with Denise O’Hearn at 11, Five Crowns at 12:30, Studio Knitting at 1, and Chinese Mah Jongg at 1:30.
Wednesday, Jan. 9: Open Bridge with Mike Hess at 10, Tai Chi with Joe Alampi at 10:30, and American Mah Jongg at 1.
Thursday, Jan. 10: Yoga with Denise O’Hearn at 10, Lunch at noon, and bingo at 12:45.