William John O'Hearn Jr., 93; lived in Wilton 40 years

William "Bill" O'Hearn, a Wilton resident for 40 years, died on Sunday, Aug. 12, in Tucson, Ariz., with his wife, Betty, and son, Michael, by his side. He had celebrated his 93rd birthday this summer and his 59th wedding anniversary on Aug. 1.

Mr. O'Hearn was born June 26, 1919 in Brookline, Mass., to William J. and Annette O'Hearn. He graduated from Yale in 1941 and Yale Law School in 1944. He first practiced law in Manhattan with Fish, Richardson and Neave and then with Winthrop, Stimson, Putnam and Roberts for the rest of his career.

In 1953, Mr. O'Hearn married Elizabeth A. Tierney, at Saint Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan and they moved to Peter Cooper Village. In 1958, the couple moved to a circa 1747 colonial house in Wilton known as "Tall Trees," where they lived for 40 years and raised their six children, all of whom attended Wilton public schools.

Mr. and Mrs. O'Hearn were members of the Wilton Riding Club and were active in Wilton's volunteer community, both of them serving as co-presidents of the high school PTA at one point. Mr. O'Hearn also served on the building committee for Driscoll School and was later an active member of the Wilton Kiwanis Club.

When Mr. O'Hearn retired in 1986, he and Mrs. O'Hearn bought a house in Tucson, and in 1993 they bought a house on Nantucket, living in Arizona for the winters and on Nantucket for the summers. In 1998, they sold their Wilton home to their youngest son, Tierney, and his wife Denise (Gregoire) O'Hearn,

Mr. O'Hearn is survived by his wife, Betty, of Tucson, and their six children, William J. O'Hearn III of Beijing, China; Robert O'Hearn of Cave Creek, Ariz.; Elizabeth O'Hearn of Baltimore, Md.; Deirdre O'Hearn Eckerstrom of New York, N.Y.; Michael O'Hearn of Tucson; and Tierney O'Hearn of Wilton; and nine grandchildren.

Mr. O'Hearn was very active in fund raising for his alma mater for most of his life and in lieu of flowers those wishing to do so are encouraged to make a contribution to Yale. A private service will be held for the family in September.