Letter: Trees add to town’s history
To the Editors:
We read with great interest about the addition of the magnificent white oak off Danbury Road in Wilton to be added to the state’s Notable Tree List. We thought you might also be interested to know that in the 1940s, the Wilton Historical Society created a bookplate identifying notable historic trees, each with a story in Wilton’s history.
Of the seven trees noted on the bookplate, only one still stands — another white oak — the one at the site of the first Congregational Parish House (the parsonage). It is the one referred to in The Bulletin article as “in the woods across from Orem’s Diner but not in the best condition.”
The parsonage was built in 1727 for the church’s first minister, Rev. Sturgeon, and subsequently used by Rev. William Gaylord and his descendants. The Meyer Brothers rebuilt the decaying house in 1931. When the state bought the land in 1971, the house was moved to the corner of Westport Road and Downe Lane. The stone foundation and the massive oak still mark the site.
Ms. Throckmorton is right: Saving our old trees not only teaches about trees in general, but also the history of their place.
Carol and Bob Russell
Meadow Ridge, July 22