The veterans of WWI living in Wilton applied for an American Legion charter April 10, 1920. This charter was approved and was dated Oct. 1, 1920. George D. Barringer was elected first commander, with 19 original members of the post. The post was named for Wilton’s first casualty of WWI, James Bennet Whipple.
The post was active the first few years, but became dormant for a few more. However, by 1937, the post was once again active. The members bought and paid for the property it now occupies at 112 Old Ridgefield Road, right next to the Village Market. (Just look for the Kick for Nick soccer ball collection net). The members hired local noted architect Nelson Breed, then bought and/or donated most of the materials to build the present building. It is little changed from its original design.