The daughter did not know what happened. Her mother had gone to the bathroom, and a little while later, there was the sound of a crash. She called 911. After two rounds of CPR, her mom arrived to the hospital with paramedics breathing for her, unresponsive but heart beating. In the trauma bay, she was promptly given naloxone - and within a minute, she opened her eyes. Within a few minutes, she asked me where she was. This story is unusual for one fact: this mom would live. Many before her did not. And, without a significant shift in the way we address the opioid crisis in the state of Connecticut, many more daughters (fathers, brothers, sisters, neighbors, friends) will wait breathless in the halls of our emergency departments as loved ones hang in the balance between life and death.
It is time for an overdose prevention center in Connecticut.