More than 100 students participate in Top Chef Competition
Twitter/Maria Coleman photos
A record number of more than 100 students participated in this year’s International Top Chefs Competition at Middlebrook School on Wednesday, March 30.
The competition has been a tradition at Middlebrook for more than 30 years that takes place during World Language Week, which celebrates cultures and traditions from around the world.
“This is a great Middlebrook tradition and it is one event that everyone looks forward to every year,” eighth grade world language teacher Simon Bulenzi told The Bulletin last year.
There are three categories in the annual competition — appetizers, entrées, and desserts — and participants could work on a dish alone or in teams of two.
A panel of judges taste-tested and determined the winning dishes based on appearance, flavor and consistency or texture.
Bulenzi said the biggest challenge of the competition is deciding which dishes are the best. “We always get some wonderful food,” he said.
The following student-made dishes earned first place this year:
- Appetizer: Chicken Tikka Masala made by Rhea Paul.
- Entrée: Vegetarian Korma made by Sarah Dodmand and Nicole Beecher.
- Dessert: Flan made by Max Silva and Dylan Smith.
This year’s second-place winners were:
- Appetizer: Tiropitas by Erin Cromwell and Brooke Bohacs.
- Entrée: Spicy Grilled Chicken with Mango Salsa by Libby Conolley and Janet Johnson.
- Dessert: Chocolate Cheesecake by Abbey Kyle and Julia Peterson.
Each category had two third-place dishes this year. They were:
- Appetizer: Irish soda bread by Harrison and Caleb Forland, and Lumpiang Shanghai by Carolina Davis and Hayden Roy.
- Entrée: Easy Chicken Parmesan by Riley Luchetta and Mia Pepetone, and Sukiyaki by Aki Lasher.
- Dessert: Chocolate Crackles by Kate Moran and Maddie Rosa, and French Log Cake by Caelah Kennedy and Jenna Kirincich.
First place winners received $30 Wilton Pizza gift cards, second place winners received $20 Wilton Deli gift cards, and third place winners received $10 Scoop's gift cards.