As you know, April POOLS Day came and went April 30th. As we hope to kick off the pool, swimming, boating and water activity season soon let’s take a look at some things we all want and need to know about recreational water safety.
Know how to recognize an emergency:
- Drownings happen quickly and quietly. Stand your watch.
- Teach your family and guests to use the word “help” for a true emergency only, and not when Uncle Joe is chasing the kids around the pool.
- Know the signs of a swimmer in distress. Distressed swimmers are trying to swim but are not making any progress.
- Active drowning victims tend to push down on the water in order to keep their heads above the water line.
- Never assume a swimmer calling for help or believed to be in distress is joking around. Take action. (If they were in fact kidding, straighten them out.)