An electrical malfunction appears to have been the cause of one of two serious fires the Wilton Fire Department responded to last week.
A home at 42 Scribner Hill Road was heavily damaged by fire on Wednesday, March 16. Two days later, on March 18, a contractor’s truck containing landscaping equipment parked at 26 Clover Drive was “completely destroyed” by fire.
Firefighters responded to an automatic fire alarm at the Scribner Hill home around 4 p.m. and requested mutual aid from Weston, Westport, Ridgefield, New Canaan and Georgetown.
Weston covered Wilton fire headquarters, and the other agencies responded to the scene. By 4:30, firefighters had knocked down the blaze, which had been in the “back corner of the home,” according to Deputy Fire Chief Mark Amatrudo.
“When we got here, there was smoke coming out from throughout the house, and the house was locked. No one was home,” Amatrudo said.
FIrefighters forced entry into the home through the front door, “located the fire, and within half an hour the firefighters had the fire completely under control,” he said.
“No one’s been injured; there was no one home at the time of the call,” he added.
New Canaan Fire Marshal Fred Baker, who investigated the fire, described the fire as accidental. “The cause appears to have been an electrical malfunction in the master bedroom,” he said.
The call for the truck fire coincidentally also came in around 4 p.m. last Friday. When Engines 1 and 2 arrived at the scene minutes later, the landscaping truck, which belonged to Norwalk landscaping, masonry and design contractor DeMilo Bros., was completely engulfed with flames.
The blaze was knocked down before 4:30. “Nobody got hurt,” Fire Chief Ronald Kanterman said, but the truck was “completely destroyed.”
“We have nothing at this point” on the cause of the truck fire, Westport Fire Marshal Edward Zygmant told The Bulletin on Monday, March 21.