As Eversource completes the installation of another section of the natural gas system in town, we wanted to familiarize you with the fuel.
Natural gas is colorless, tasteless, and odorless. A distinctive, pungent odor, similar to rotten eggs, is added so you can recognize it easily and know if natural gas may be escaping from the system.
What to do if you suspect a natural gas leak:
- Evacuate and isolate the area;
- Call 9-1-1 for a fire department response;
- Abandon any equipment being used in or near the leak;
- Avoid open flames, sparks etc.;
- Do not use cell phones, radios or other portable devices in the vicinity of the leak;
- Do not turn electrical equipment, lights, etc. on or off;
- Do not start or run any motor vehicles in the vicinity of the leak;
- Do not attempt to extinguish a natural gas-fed fire.