Burning permits available
- Residents may obtain a burning permit at Wilton Fire Department headquarters, 236 Danbury Rd.
- Permits are valid for 10 days.
- If it’s the first time the permit holder will be burning, the FD will do a site survey and help the permit holder select a site.
- The area around the burn site must be wet down prior to starting and a garden hose or other suitable extinguishing device must be on hand.
- The permit holder must call in to the FD each day they wish to burn at 203-834-6246 to get daily authorization.
- Permission to burn is based on state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection determination in two areas: 1-the fire danger level is and 2-air quality for that day.
- Allowable materials: brush only and no larger than two inches in diameter. Processed wood like pallets, furniture, and, are prohibited.
- Burning is only permitted between 10 a.m.and 5 p.m.with winds between five and 15 miles per hour.
- Permit renewals require an in-person visit to fire headquarters.
- Rocco Grosso is the town Fire Marshal and the town’s burn official, as authorized by the DEEP.