At least one adult included in Ridgefield-Wilton fight

At least one person over the age of 18 is included in the investigation of a fight between Ridgefield and Wilton students Aug. 31 that sent a Ridgefield football player to the hospital.
There were 10 students from each side involved, with more expected to show up, but the two sides have not been cooperative and much of the information from interviews has contradicted other information, said Lt. Stephen Brennan, spokesman for the Wilton Police Department.
“We’re piecing it together,” Brennan said.
There were reports of a blunt weapon like a bat or golf club used, and the police are not ruling anything out, Brennan said, as the probe continues.
Wilton police said Friday, Sept. 2, that Ridgefield students went to Wilton High School as part of a “scavenger hunt” where members of a high school senior class participate in pranks and challenges.
One of the items was to urinate on Wilton High’s football field, and that spurred the conflict, according to a source.
“The incident began by Ridgefield High School students coming to Wilton playing a game of scavenger hunt,” said Brennan. “Because the game was publicized, Wilton students were aware that Ridgefield students would be coming to the football field.
“While at the field, an altercation occurred where a Ridgefield student was assaulted,” he said.
Police said the students were from Wilton High School, but could not confirm if they were student athletes.

School reaction

RHS Principal Stacey Gross said in a statement last Tuesday the incident was not a school-sanctioned event. “That being said, we are always concerned for all of our students’ well-being and have spoken to and supported those involved as needed,” she said.
“The BOE has a policy framework that clearly outlines appropriate conduct on and off school grounds and due to confidentiality laws schools are bound to protect student privacy,” Gross said.
When asked about how the fight could affect future Ridgefield-Wilton sporting events — a change in location or a change in time — the principal said that the school would continue “to work collaboratively with Wilton on all matters related to the health and well-being of our student population.”
As for additional security at games between the two rival high schools, Gross said that every athletic event is supervised by a combination of administrators, teachers, athletic assistants, coaches, security guards and police.
“In the event that any additional security considerations were required for an event, we would plan accordingly.”
Wilton Superintendent of Schools Kevin Smith did not return a phone call seeking comment and Wilton High School Principal Robert O’Donnell said in an email to The Bulletin, “The incident remains under investigation and we are cooperating with the Wilton Police Department. I do not want to provide you with any inaccurate or incomplete information as the investigation is ongoing.”
The Wilton Police Youth Division is handling the investigation.
Those with information may call Officer Ross at 203-834-6260.