Yes, you read it right. April POOLS Day is here! April 30th is hereby declared April POOLS Day in Wilton. As we kick off the pool, swimming, boating and water activity season, let’s take the time to understand of the dangers of water activities.
The fire department, police department and the Wilton Dive Rescue Team are supporting this town wide initiative along with the YMCA and the Wilton school system. Now it’s time to dig into the program a bit more. Listed below are things to think about as we embark on the warmer months. Also note the other drown prevention measures listed. Drowning is not limited to the pool, pond, lake or the ocean:
- Use physical barriers to prevent unauthorized access to any source of water in, around, or near your home. (BLOCK)
- Keep bathroom doors closed and toilet seats locked down. (BLOCK)
- Empty cleaning, car wash and other buckets right after use.
- Empty kiddie pools immediately after use.
- Keep the cover on your hot tub and locked down when not in use. (BLOCK)
- Install barriers, fences, etc. around your pool and maintain their integrity. (BLOCK)
- Educate your family about the dangers of drainage ditches, garden ponds, creeks, streams, lakes, ponds, wells, cisterns and canals. (LEARN)
- Teach non-swimmers how to swim. (LEARN)