A call to help, support former Wilton resident

Help and support for 25-year-old former Wilton resident Dan Stebbins’ fiancée, Whitney Hardy, is being sought.

“I know Wiltonians have always been known to look out for their own,” said Brian Sinchak, a friend of Mr. Stebbins. “I just want to bring this to people’s attention in hopes that we can raise both awareness and much-needed funds — medical bills, rehabilitation, living expenses — to help out one of my best friends.”

Mr. Stebbins, who graduated from Wilton High School in 2006, met his fiancée, who is originally from Truckee, Calif., while attending Tufts University in Medford, Mass.

The two moved to Boston after graduating from Tufts in spring 2010.

About a month after Mr. Stebbins proposed to 25-year-old Ms. Hardy, she was hit by a car, on Thursday, Feb. 20, while jogging in Boston.

Ms. Hardy is currently in a medically induced coma at Boston Medical Center and being treated for severe brain swelling, blood clots, a compound leg fracture, and numerous other issues.

“There is uncertainty when it comes to how severe the damage is and whether or not her injuries will be fully reversible,” said Mr. Sinchak. “An exciting time filled with wedding planning and hope for the future has abruptly turned into what is sure to be a long and incredibly difficult battle for this amazing couple.”

Mr. Sinchak said Mr. Stebbins and Ms. Hardy will need all the help they can get.

Family and friends of Ms. Hardy started a #FightHardy page on GiveForward.com to raise $50,000 for medical bills, rehabilitation costs and living expenses.

In addition to donations, family and friends are asking people to help promote the #FightHardy hashtag on social media sites.

As of March 1 — only nine days after the accident — 438 donations had been made totaling $38,475.

Ms. Hardy’s family and friends have also created a page on CaringBridge.com where updates on her recovery are posted.

In an update on March 1, Ms. Hardy’s brother Matt Hardy wrote that his sister moved both her arms up and down that morning — “from the bed to about 30 degrees off it,” he said.

“The doctors started to slowly wean her off sedation around 10 a.m.,” Mr. Hardy posted. “They took her off the respirator for 10 minutes this morning so she had a little workout. She did great!”

To donate or give support: https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/j524/-fighthardy.

For updates on Ms. Hardy’s recovery: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/whitneyhardy2.