On July 17, Gov. Dannel Malloy announced that the state has made $22 million available to continue the year-old School Security Grant Program. The matching-grant grant program was created as part of the 2013 Gun Violence Prevention and Children\u2019s Safety Act. \u201cProviding safe learning environments for our students and educators is a basic responsibility of state and local governments,\u201d said Gov. Malloy. \u201cLast year, we secured $21 million to support grant requests for security upgrades at 604 schools in 111 districts \u2014 every school that applied.\u201d Last year, Wilton requested $108,495 for two schools, of which the state funded $26,354 and the town matched $82,141, according to the state\u2019s summary of all School Security Grant Program recipients. The application process for the second round of funding began the week of July 21, and, the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) has started sending application packets to eligible schools. According to the governor\u2019s July 17 press release, the School Security Grant Program will expand eligibility to all public schools, including technical and inter-district magnet schools, as well as private schools. The state funding is used to reimburse a portion of the costs associated with school security infrastructure improvements, according to the press release. \u201cThis next round of funding will allow us to get the resources out to communities that need to modernize their school security infrastructure to help keep students safe,\u201d said Gov. Malloy. According to the press release, the program will also expand \u201cthe security infrastructure eligible for reimbursement to include real time interoperable communications and multimedia sharing infrastructure.\u201d Eligible infrastructure under existing law includes, but is not limited to, the installation of: \u2022Surveillance cameras. \u2022Penetration-resistant vestibules. \u2022Ballistic glass. \u2022Solid core doors. \u2022Double-door access. \u2022Computer-controlled electronic locks. \u2022Entry door buzzer systems. \u2022Scan card systems. \u2022Panic alarms. William Shea, DESPP deputy commissioner, said the expansion of this program \u201cdemonstrates the continuing commitment and investment Gov. Malloy has made to our children and educators.\u201d \u201cPublic safety is one of the core functions of our government, especially when it comes to our children\u2019s safety and security,\u201d he said. The application for the School Security Grant Program will be available at www.ct.gov\/despp and www.sde.ct.gov.