Train hits car on Danbury Branch line

UPDATE: Jan. 27 — Information obtained today from Metro-North indicated the car hit Jan. 26 by a northbound train on the Danbury Branch line had been trying to cross the tracks in advance of the train.

According to a Metro-North spokesperson, the 2000 Ford Taurus was being driven by an 83-year-old man from Norwalk. He was headed west over the crossing, which, being a private crossing, had no lights, bells or gates.

The Norwalk man saw the 1:05 from Grand Central Terminal traveling north, and sped up in an attempt to clear the crossing without having to wait for the train to pass, the spokesperson said.

“Our train came into the crossing at about 20 m.p.h. [The operator] sounded the horn and [triggered the] emergency brake,” she said, “striking the rear driver side of the vehicle.”

No injuries were reported among train commuters, but the driver of the Ford suffered an abrasion to the head, and was taken to Norwalk Hospital for treatment.

According to the spokesperson, the MTA Police Department is not levying any charges on the Norwalk man at this time.

Jan. 26: This afternoon, a northbound train coming from Grand Central Terminal hit an “unauthorized” car stopped on the tracks of Metro-North’s Danbury Branch, an MTA spokesperson said.

Around 2:35 on Jan. 26, the 1:05 train from Grand Central, carrying 50 commuters, crashed into a car occupied by one person that was stopped on the tracks near a private boat crossing in Norwalk, south of Commerce Street, before the Merritt 7 Station.

No injuries were reported, the spokesperson said. Those who had been on the train were taken to their respective destinations by a Connecticut Transit bus.

As a result of the crash, the 3:17 out of Danbury was canceled. Connecticut Transit provided a bus for those commuters as well.

Around 4 p.m., the car was towed from the tracks. The train that had hit it was moved “back to the yard,” the spokesperson said.

It is not known at this time why the car was on the tracks or if it was stuck there. The MTA Police Department is currently investigating the incident.

Metro-North’s Danbury service is running again at present. The only cancellation or delay was the 3:17 out of Danbury.