Secretary of the State Merrill visits Wilton Kiwanis Club
Connecticut Secretary of the State Denise Merrill will be the Wilton Kiwanis Club’s guest speaker at its Wednesday meeting on May 11 at WEPCO. She will talk about the activities of her office and plans she has for improving opportunities to vote in Connecticut. Wilton’s own Peggy Reeves is a senior member of her staff and will also be joining the Kiwanians for lunch.
Merrill, a Democrat, was elected to her second term as Connecticut's 73rd secretary of the state on Nov. 4, 2014. As Connecticut’s chief elections official and business registrar, she has focused on modernizing Connecticut’s elections and business services and improving access to public records.
Since taking office, she has supported and expanded democratic participation. Merrill has worked to expand voter participation through election day and online voter registration. She has also improved Connecticut's democratic accountability and integrity with a series of rapid-response processes to election day problems. In 2015, she was elected by her peers to serve as president of the National Association of Secretaries of State for the 2016-2017 term.
Kiwanis meets every Wednesday for lunch at the Episcopal-Presbyterian complex on New Canaan Road from noon to 1:30. Guests are welcome but reservations are required. For more information, call Bud Taylor at 203-354-0208.
- May 18 Anne Newton, President, Stay-at-Home Wilton
- May 25 Memorial Day Program: Jim Newton, Marine Lieutenant & Vietnam veteran
- June 1 Middlebrook Singers, directed by Janet Lofink Nobles
- June 8 Men’s Canticle Singers of the Wilton Congregational Church
- June 15 Rudy Marconi, Ridgefield First Selectman
- June 22 First Lunch at Kiwanis Park: No Program