Four kitchens overturn failed inspections
The public was not in danger and no restaurants were closed as a result, but items as simple as dented food cans were enough to cause three restaurants and the Wilton High School cafeteria to receive failing grades from town health inspectors in the second quarter that ended June 30.
At Wilton High School, a bathroom used by kitchen staff was found in May to not have hot enough water, as required for washing hands to prevent the spread of germs. As a result, the bathroom was sealed off with tape and the staff was provided with hand sanitizers and an alternate bathroom. A re-inspection was made two days later, on May 25, when it passed.
“It may not be something that puts the consumer at risk, but it needed to be corrected,” said Barry Bogle, Wilton’s health director.
At Portofino II, 10 Center Street, an initial inspection in June led to failure for workers not washing hands and changing gloves as required. That was a four-point violation, and the situation was corrected for the return visit two weeks later.
At Reiki, 239 Danbury Road, a blocked hand sink led to a four-point failure in May, records show. Workers could not get to the hand sink to wash their hands. Reinspection was made on June 8 and it passed.
At Toozy Patza Pizza, 991 Danbury Road, dented food cans on a shelf led to a failing grade in March. Re-inspection was made April 4 and it passed.
“On delivery, the guys dropped boxes off the truck. But if a restaurant finds dented cans they need to remove them from the shelves to be returned or identified as not used in the cooking process,” Bogle said.
There were a couple of other temporary failures as well. A gas station, Standard Petroleum/PVC Gulf, 287 Danbury Road, was found selling buttered rolls, not part of their permit, which Bogle said led to failure before re-inspection. The Lake Club, a private club at 165 Thayer Pond Road, had a blocked hand sink with utensils in it, which led to failure before re-inspection.
Following are the passing grades for the other establishments inspected:
- Aranci 67, 142 Old Ridgefield Road, 100.
- Beiersdorf Cafe, 45 Danbury Road, 98.
- Bianco Rosso, 151 Old Ridgefield Road, 97.
- Boston Market, 14 Danbury Road, 98.
- Brookdale, 96 Danbury Road, 93.
- Cactus Rose Cantina, 5 River Road, 90.
- Caraluzzi’s, 920 Danbury Road, 93.
- CT Coffee/Bagel, 16 Center Street, 94.
- Diamond Deli, 285 Danbury Road, 96.
- Dog Daze, 713 Danbury Road, 100.
- Heibeick’s Stand, 951 Danbury Road, 100.
- Hunan Cafe, 228 Town Green, 85.
- Jersey Mike’s, 35 Danbury Road, 97.
- John’s Best, 1 Danbury Road, 100.
- Little Pub, 26 Danbury Road, 89.
- Marlys’, 205 Town Green, 94.
- Naked Greens, 237 Danbury Road, 98.
- Noodle House, 14 Danbury Road, 96.
- Orem’s Diner, 167 Danbury Road, 83.
- Outback Steakhouse, 14 Danbury Road, 95.
- Pinocchio, 99 Center Street, 86.
- Rolling Hills Country Club, 333 Hurlbutt Street, 98.
- Schoolhouse, 34 Cannon Road, 98.
- Stop & Shop, 5 River Road, 98.
- Subway, 101 Old Ridgefield Road, 99.
- Sushi Avenue, 920 Danbury Road, 97.
- The Greens at Cannondale, 438 Danbury Road, 97.
- Tom E. Toes, 15 River Road, 96.
- Trackside, 1 Station Road, 100.
- Village Luncheonette, 88 Old Ridgefield Road, 85.
- Village Market, 108 Old Ridgefield Road, 97.
- Wilton Deli, 379 Danbury Road, 97.
- Wilton Pizza, 208 Town Green, 96.
- Bangkok Republic, 991 Danbury Road, 92.
- Coffee Barn, 392 Danbury Road, 95.
- Dunkin’ Donuts, 35 Danbury Road, 98.,
- Easy Eats, 404 Danbury Road, 98.
- Molly’s Deli, 671 Danbury Road, 94.
- Sandwich Shoppe, 7 Danbury Road, 99.
- Starbucks Coffee, 7 Danbury Road, 99.
- The Well, 33 Danbury Road, 100.
- Painted Cookie, 196 Danbury Road, 97.
- Peachwave, 92 Old Ridgefield Road, 100.
- Scoops, 5 Old Ridgefield Road, 100.
- Sweet Pierre, 5 River Road, 100.