Windstorm wreaks Sunday havoc

For the second time in less than a month, a windstorm toppled trees and branches, taking down power lines on Nov. 19, knocking out electricity to dozens of residents and even cutting off telephone and Internet service at the police department for several hours.

“The reason the police department phones were out was a generator that was faulty, and it didn’t power on for the phones,” said Capt. Robert Cipolla, spokesman for the department.

The regular 911 emergency call service was OK. Only the routine phone lines at the police station were affected, from 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., he said.

“Due to a fault in a town hall generator, our phone lines were down, but people were able to get it touch with us via 911,” Cipolla said.

It was the second windstorm in less than a month. The first struck on Oct. 30, knocking out power to some for several days.

Sunday’s was less powerful, but still a problem.

“Yeah, it was a bad storm. A lot of trees and wires were down and there were road closures as a result,” Cipolla said.

Roads closed included Pond Road, Little Brook Road by Dudley Road, Branch Brook Road by Chicken Street, Warncke Road, Glen Hill Road near Echo Lane, Old Huckleberry Road near Reservoir Road, Chestnut Hill Road between Spoonwood Road, and Westport Road, Highfield Road, and Dirksen Drive. They were all reopened by 6 a.m. Monday.

The total number of outages for the day was 1,753, according to Al Lara of Eversource, the power company. Some customers were out a few minutes, some were out a long time. The largest outage affected 662 customers for 16 minutes on Westport Road, from 2:57 to 3:15 p.m.

The first outages were at 9:30 a.m., and they picked up again in mid-afternoon, he said. One extended outage was on Dudley Road, involving four customers for more than seven hours. A large tree came down and took took three primary wires. It also damaged a transformer and a pole.

A  large pine tree  fell across Chestnut Hill Road Sunday afternoon, causing the road to be closed for about 12 hours. First responders were on the scene immediately and worked throughout the night, he said, adding that power was restored about 2 a.m. Monday.