Visitors to the Wilton Family YMCA will notice construction equipment on the grounds and a detour that goes around the pools to get to the front entrance.
That’s because the Y is undergoing an $8-million renovation project at its facility at 404 Danbury Road. Improvements are being made inside and out and the construction and detours are only temporary. The project is expected to be competed this fall.
Features of the Y’s renovation plan include:
- A new Wellness Center, double in size and equipped with new strength and cardio equipment.
- Modernized locker rooms close to the new fitness center and the 25-yard pool with large family changing areas and accessible space for seniors and people with special needs.
- Three new universal locker rooms.
- Four dedicated group exercise studios.
- A new Kids Club room for babysitting services.
- An expanded, bright and open lobby.
- A new drop-off zone in the parking lot with a walking path from the bridge to the main entrance of the YMCA building.
- A new bubble pool, pool filtration and water heat exchanger, and movable bulkhead for the 50-meter Melissa and Mark Nickel Memorial Pool.