Stratford man pleads not guilty to killing his mother

Fairfield County Courthouse

Fairfield County Courthouse

Contributed / Contributed

BRIDGEPORT — A Stratford man on probation for stabbing a cousin pleaded not guilty Thursday to stabbing his mother to death in their home.

Appearing on video from the Garner Correctional Institution, Thomas Walker agreed to waive a hearing on probable cause and pleaded not guilty to murder before Superior Court Judge Kevin Russo.

He asked for a jury and added, “thank you very much.”

Both Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Colleen Zingaro and Walker’s lawyer, Public Defender Bradford Buchta, declined comment as they left the courtroom in the Fairfield County Courthouse.

Shortly after 5:30 a.m. Sept. 18, police said Walker, 31, went into the Stratford Police Department and told officers he wanted to “report a body.”

One of the officers noted that Walker had scratches on the right side of his face and what looked like blood on his sneakers, police said.

Officers were dispatched to Walker’s home on Baird Street. Police said they found Walker’s mother, Pamela Walker, sitting on the floor next to her bed with multiple stab wounds to her neck and chest.

In an interview with detectives, Walker told them he had been home with his mother when the two of them got into what he called an “altercation,” police said. He was vague on the nature of the altercation and didn’t recall what happened next, police said.

Walker, police said, recalled changing his clothes and walking to the Police Department.

“We informed Thomas that his mother was found dead in his home. He showed no emotion,” police said.

Police said Walker’s sister told them he had a history of mental illness and that she had contacted his probation officer in an effort to get him mental health treatment, police said.

Police said in 2019, Walker had gone to a cousin’s home in Bridgeport with a large knife, allegedly forced his way into the cousin’s home and stabbed the victim several times.

In December 2019, Walker pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and was sentenced to six months in prison followed by three years of probation.