Redding man could face witness tampering charge in Wilton embezzlement case, prosecutor says

Stamford Courthouse

Stamford Courthouse

Ned Gerard / Hearst Connecticut Media

STAMFORD — A Redding businessman could face witness tampering charges after he allegedly tried to contact a person he is accused of embezzling more than $200,000 from, according to a state prosecutor.

Assistant State’s Attorney Michelle Manning said the state is weighing the new charges after Raymond Sanzone, 54, allegedly sent an email to the victim over the weekend.

In the email, Manning said, a man police identified as Sanzone asked the victim if they “could sit down and work out” their differences outside of court.

Under state statute, tampering with a witness is a Class D felony. A witness tampering conviction could carry up to five years imprisonment and a fine up to $5,000.

Following the email, Judge Gary White ordered Sanzone, who is free after posting a $150,000 bond, to not have any further contact with any victims in the case.

Attorney Wayne Keeney, who represents Sanzone, did not argue against White’s order.

If Sanzone violates this new condition of release, he would be subject to re-arrest.

Sanzone was arrested by Wilton police in October 2020 on 14 counts each of first-degree identity theft and third-degree forgery, as well as a single count of first-degree larceny.

According to the arrest warrant, Sanzone allegedly embezzled about $212,000 from a Wilton-based company between 2018 and 2020.

Manning said the state recently offered Sanzone a deal in which the 54-year-old would plead guilty to first-degree larceny in return for a 15-year prison sentence, suspended after six years, and five years of probation.

Sanzone has until his next court date on June 15 to decide on the state’s offer.

In 2014, Sanzone was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison after pleading guilty to first-degree larceny in a separate embezzlement scheme where he overcharged schools and municipalities by more than $500,000 in commissions for arranging energy suppliers.

As a part of the 2014 plea agreement, Sanzone was ordered to pay nearly $350,000 in restitution.

Following his arrest in 2020, Sanzone was also charged with violation of probation. That case is still pending before Danbury Superior Court.