New Fairfield man accused of killing, sexually assaulting roommate pleads guilty, state officials say

Steven Flood, right, during a court appearance on May 5, 2017.

Steven Flood, right, during a court appearance on May 5, 2017.

Carol Kaliff/Hearst Connecticut Media

NEW FAIRFIELD — A local man accused of the 2017 killing of his roommate pleaded guilty to murder and other offenses in state Superior Court in Danbury on Thursday, according to the state Division of Criminal Justice. 

Steven Flood, 37, was previously charged with murder, two counts of first-degree sexual assault and third-degree larceny in connection with the April 2017 murder and sexual assault of Susan Guido, 55. 

Police conducting a welfare check at a New Fairfield home on May 1, 2017, found Guido’s body, according to state officials. Her remains had significant head injuries, officials said.

Flood, who had most recently worked as a security guard at the Danbury Fair Mall in 2010, confessed to the crime, state police wrote in the arrest warrant affidavit at the time

The court documents detail how police were called to the home by Guido's friends and family, who were concerned that they couldn't reach her. Her body was found on the kitchen table covered with a white sheet. 

The authorities found Flood days after the killing camping out in the woods in Union. 

He told police he and Guido met months earlier while living in a hotel and had agreed to pool their money to rent the house on Candlewood Drive. They were friends and were not in a physical relationship, according to the court documents. 

Relatives told police Flood was nice initially, but became more aggressive over time and began making sexual demands of Guido, who had to physically restrain him, the filings state.

Things escalated on May 1, when Guido returned from spending a weekend with a friend. She told relatives Flood was angry she hadn't left any food in the house and that he'd complained about having to eat popcorn for two days.

Flood would later tell investigators he and Guido were drinking that night and started to argue over bills.

“At that point, the rage just came out,” Flood said. “Everything came out of my head, and I just lost it.” 

Investigators determined Flood punched Guido in the head during an argument and stomped on her after she fell, according to state officials. He then proceeded to sexually assault her as she died, officials said.

Flood fled the scene in Guido’s car after stealing her jewelry, according to state officials.

When police later found him in Union, he was still wearing bloody socks from the murder, according to the court documents. He had pawned her jewelry to buy his tent.

“My plan was to go get drugs and die somewhere,” he told police, according to the court records. “I was hoping to get some heroin and overdose.”

He began talking about the crime while seated in the back of the police cruiser. 

“I did something bad,” he said, according to the court documents.

Flood is scheduled to be sentenced on March 29 in state Superior Court in Danbury.