Gov. Malloy: FEMA assistance to individuals tops $7.6 million for Storm Sandy
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy announced Monday that more than $7.6 million in federal assistance to date has been approved to help individuals with disaster expenses since President Obama approved his Disaster Declaration request as a result of Storm Sandy.
"Connecticut residents in the declared counties continue to receive much needed federal assistance to help get their lives back to normal after Storm Sandy," Mr. Malloy said. "I cannot stress this enough, if you live in one of the declared counties and you suffered damage as a result of Storm Sandy, you must register with FEMA to begin the disaster assistance process."
So far, more than $7.6 million in federal disaster assistance has been approved to help individuals with disaster expenses in Connecticut. To date:
• More than 9,000 Connecticut residents in counties of Fairfield, Middlesex, New Haven, and New London, the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation and the Mohegan Tribal Nation located within New London County have registered for federal disaster assistance.
• More than $7.3 million has been approved for housing assistance, including short-term rental assistance and home repair costs.
• More than $353,000 has been approved to cover other essential disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses and lost personal possessions.
• More than 2000 people have visited FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers.
• 4,213 inspections of damaged properties have been conducted.
• 6,883 disaster loan applications have been issued by the United States Small Business Administration (SBA). Of that number, 5,480 are for home loans and 1,403 applications from businesses. $489,500 in SBA loan have been approved to date.
Residents in Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex and New London Counties and businesses across the state who suffered damage as a result of Storm Sandy are encouraged to register with FEMA before visiting the recovery center by either calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or by going online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov. For those with speech or hearing disabilities, the TTY number is 1-800-462-7585.
In addition, Mr. Malloy is encouraging residents seeking additional information on how to apply for the assistance to download the fact sheet available at www.ct.gov/sandy.