Budget season to begin
Wilton’s budget season is underway. The Board of Education was expected to release its budget request figures Jan. 18, and on Jan. 22 the Board of Selectmen will begin hearing municipal departmental requests. Wilton Library and the Wilton Volunteer Ambulance Corps will be up first.
It is the budget for fiscal year 2018-19. The current fiscal year is 2017-18. The new fiscal year begins July 1.
Anne Kelly-Lenz, the town’s finance director, told the selectmen about the upcoming municipal budget appointments during their meeting at town hall on Jan. 8. There are more to follow, she said.
“Most of the departments had supplied their budgets by this past Friday, and we’re going through them,” Kelly-Lenz said at the meeting.
“The main day is going to be Saturday, Feb. 3; we have a lot of departments on that day.” And there will be a time on that date, 9 a.m., she said, to go through Fire Station No. 2 again, if needed. The capital budget request for that project, which originally was to have been made public at a selectmen’s meeting Jan. 8, is still being finalized.
It should take six hours to get through all the budget presentations, based on the number of departments being considered.
Up first will be some of the smaller departments. “They’ll be easier to go through,” Kelly-Lenz said.
The departments making presentations that day include police, fire, parks and recreation, land use, social services, the Department of Public Works, energy, and facilities.
Finance, information services, human resources, and Board of Education bonded items will be discussed during a Board of Selectmen meeting Feb. 5.
Other important dates:
- Jan. 22 — Board of Education budget workshop for Miller-Driscoll, Cider Mill, Middlebrook; 1-3, Wilton High School Professional Library.
- Jan. 23 — Board of Education budget workshop for Wilton High School, athletics, digital learning, technology; 1-3, Wilton High School Professional Library.
- Jan. 24 — Board of Education workshop for district, curriculum instruction, SPED; 1-3, Wilton High School Professional Library.
- Jan. 25 — public hearing, 7 p.m., Middlebrook auditorium.
- Feb. 13 – Joint Board of Education/Board of Finance discussion; 7:30 p.m., Wilton High School Professional Library.
- Feb. 21 — Joint Board of Education/Board of Finance discussion (if needed); 7:30 p.m., Wilton High School Professional Library.
- Feb. 22 — Final discussion and approval of budget at regular Board of Education meeting, 7 p.m., Wilton Professional Library.
- March 2 — Board of Selectmen budget is due.
- March 5 — Referral of bonded projects to the Board of Finance.
- March 13 — Board of Selectmen’s presentation to the Board of Finance for operating and bonded elements of the budget.
- March 26 — Board of Finance public hearing on Board of Education budget.
- March 27 — Board of Finance public hearing on the Board of Selectmen’s budget.
The Board of Finance has set aside April 3-5 to discuss bonded projects and the mill rate.
The Annual Town Meeting will be on May 1, and adjourned voting will take place Saturday, May 5.