Just in time to admire Wilton’s autumn colors, Conservation Commission member Donna Merrill will lead a walk through Quarry Head and the Harrison Smith Preserve on Sunday, Oct. 18, at 1. Families and dogs on leashes are welcome for the one-hour walk. Afterward, there will be time for questions and cookies.
Although it is managed by the town, Quarry Head is owned by the state. Aptly named, it is the site of Wilton’s first and largest quarry — mentioned in land records as early as 1739 — having produced millstones for grinding rye and corn in local gristmills. Later, its stone was used for steps and building foundations, including the granite posts in front of the Schlichting house on Ridgefield Road.