Healthy Kids Day at the Wilton Y
The Wilton Family Y invites families to participate in Healthy Kids Day on Saturday, April 30, from noon to 3. This free event is intended to inspire children to keep their minds and bodies active.
There will be swimming, family yoga, games, arts and crafts, face painting, a fishing derby, pottery, animal demos, a moon bounce and more to motivate and teach families how to develop healthy routines at home. According to the Y, research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, children fall behind academically and gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year.
In celebration of Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development. And to keep kids’ taste buds evolving, have everyone in the family try at least one bite of a new fruit or vegetable at least once a month.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs, bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and seven to eight hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
Information: riverbrookymca.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
The Wilton Family YMCA branch is at 404 Danbury Road.