Go Green Festival is Sunday
Single-stream recycling — a one-stop collection of garbage and recycling — will be on display by D. A. Vento Refuse at the Wilton Go Green Festival on May 3 in Wilton Center. This state-of-the-art technology is a split-body, rear-load truck that eliminates the need for curbside collection and continues to provide residents with “back-door” service.
“Single-stream recycling is a large step in the continued efforts by our community to improve the environment,” a press release said. These new procedures eliminate the need to separate recyclables, and have proven to be very successful in reducing solid waste. The single-stream system has also expanded the catalog of recyclable items, creating a need for larger capacity receptacles on collectors’ trucks and at homes.
The commingled collection capability lessens a waste management company’s carbon footprint by eliminating the need for an additional truck to collect recycling. The newly designed, larger recycling section is considered a significant improvement upon the outdated, smaller recycling receptacles on many trucks. For most homeowners, a 65-gallon blue recycling tote has taken the place of the smaller, standard “blue recycling box.”
Information on single-stream recycling will be available for visitors at the D. A. Vento Refuse booth.
The Wilton Go Green Festival opens at 11 Sunday morning, with more than 60 informative and entertaining exhibits focused on sustainable living.
Special events include:
- Document shredding from 11 to 2 in the post office parking lot.
- Cyril the Sorcerer from noon to 1:30.
- Dog parade at 2.
- Westport Electric Car Club Rally from 3 to 3:30.
- Norwalk River Valley trail check presentation at 3:30 in the library parking lot.
- Green Business designation recognition at 3:30 in the library parking lot.
- Mattress recycling all day in the library parking lot.
- Music throughout the day by the Wilton Steel Community Band, guitarist Peter McDowell, Joe Wallace, Dan Walter, Jared Gladstein, and TD Molina, and Black Tie Affair.