It’s that time of year again when students head back to school. Students will be waiting at road edge bus stops, bus drivers learning new routes, and drivers encountering additional hazardous situations with children walking to school. To ensure everyone remains safe:
- Slow down.
- Obey all speed and safety warning signs; especially in school zones. Be aware that students may enter roadways at anytime.
- Be prepared to stop when approaching bus stops, students sometimes become distracted and do not see oncoming cars.
- Come to a complete stop, in either direction, for a bus that has its red flashers on. This includes undivided multi-lane highways like Danbury Road (Route 7).
- Do not start driving until the red flashing lights stop.
- Take extra caution, when approaching a school bus picking up or letting off students. Students in a hurry may dart into roadways.
- Be aware of the last-minute student running to or from the bus.
- Allow enough time to drop off and pick up your children.
- Make sure that all children are restrained in their seats.
- Watch out for drivers who disregard red flashing school bus lights.
- When approaching or getting off the school bus look both ways, even if the bus’s red flashing lights are on.
Thank you for reading and keeping our students safe this school year!